We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Black creen on startup windows vista home

keithbarr60

Likes # 0

Hi guys, first post so go easy on me.

I'm a novice at pc repairs so this might be quite a simple fix or it could be unfixable.

I have an oldish homebuilt pc which is giving me problems. About six months ago it was working perfectly. The next day I powered it up and I got a black screen. Then after a few hours of messing around the psu died. Today I got a new psu and replaced the cmos battery and it started up(well sort of). I got to the msi logo then I got this screen,

AMERICAN Released :03/05/2005 MEGATRENDS AMIBIOS (c) 2003 American Megatrens inc

AMD Athlon (tm) 64 Processor 3000+ Checking NVRAM.. 1048576kb OK DRAM Clock= 400MHz, SDRAM CAS Latency= 3 DEL:Setup F11:Boot Menu F12:Network boot Tab:logo Auto-Detecting Pri Master..IDE Hard Disk Auto-Detecting Pri Slave.. Not Detected Auto-Detecting Sec Master..ATAPI CDROM Auto-Detecting Sec Slave.. ATAPI CDROM Pri Master: YAR41BW0 Maxtor 6Y080L0 Ultra DMA Mode-6 S.M.A.R.T. Capable but disabled Sec Master: VER K036 IDE5232CO Sec Slave : A102 HL-DI-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B

CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad

Press f1 to run setup Press f2 to load default values and continue.

So if I press f1 I get the bios screen, f2 it tries to boot up but goes to this screen

Scan Devices.. please wait..... No disk attached

press shift tab key to display network boot options menu, if i press that the blue screen appears then after that I get the black screen of death.

Any ideas how to get it working?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Oldish PC - off for 6 months - checksum bad

All points to dead or dying CMOS battery, its a cheap replacement

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Open the case and make sure all contacts are 'good'. That includes ram,hdd, and graphics card. Take a look at the mobo for any untoward signs of capacitors bulging or a faint smell of burning.

Like this post
keithbarr60

Likes # 0

Cmos battery has been replaced yesterday, andas far as I can see contacts are ok, no bulging or burning. Can't work out why it wont boot!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

It may be that there are some setting in the BIOS that will have been lost when the battery was removed - probably in the HDD settings..

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Yes. In BIOS, looks like you need to set your ATAPI CD ROM as first boot device (make sure no old CD in tray). 80GB Maxtor Primary Master as second boot device.

If there is an option for enable/disable of it too, obviously set it to enable.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

F1 setup, can you load default or fail safe settings?

Like this post
keithbarr60

Likes # 0

@ Fruit Bat, won't let me load anything. I will ty other suggestions now and post back. Thans

Like this post
keithbarr60

Likes # 0

@ robinofloxley... Tried what you suggested but with no joy. Comes back to the black screen with flashing cursor. So that leaves me one option which is to press restart. That then brings me to the screen which says press shift + tab key to display boot options ( if I ignore this after a few seconds I get the black screen again) If i select shift + tab I get the blue screen showing

Rhine 11 fast ethernet adapter v 2.19

Boot protocol       pxe  or rpl
        Boot option         network first, then local
                            local first, then network
                            local only
                            according bios

When i select any option I get the same black screen!

I have not got a clue with this thing.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you can get to BIOS one of the menu items is load default settings choose this then save and exit(F10)

Like this post
keithbarr60

Likes # 0

Friut bat, that's what I did but it does nothing, sme frustrating black screen when it restarts.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...