We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

AVG Advisor Question

jimforrest

Likes # 0

In a previous post I said that AVG Advisor keeps putting up a window stating that Chrome is consuming vast amounts of memory - up to 750mb with just a few tabs open, and recommends closing it. So I switched back to Explorer and it's doing the same - although the memory used is much less at 400mb. My laptop (Acer Aspire 5742 running Win7) has 4gig of memory. Now the questions - Does it matter that these browsers are using that much memory? Are they using too much? Should I just switch AVG Advisor off? (I think it came with the latest AVG upgrade). The laptop isn't very old and shouldn't have tons of dust or fluff in it, but there might be an underlying problem because if I run Adaware in full computer scan mode the laptop switches itself off after about 20 mins (high temp?) The air inlet/outlets are of course unobstructed.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Switch it off.

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruitbat and Buteman - good advice I think. I've followed the ie8 advice re turning stuff off, and next time AVG pops up I'll switch the Advisor setting off.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......