We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using Recovery Disc

GBL

Likes # 0

I have replaced the HDD with a second hand one in a computer which has Win XP home on, I have used the recovery disc and run into several problems. No internet explorer, no Outlook express and I cannot install the Office suite. I get several messages depending on what I am trying to do. Windows installer problems is one. If I type msconfig into the run box that cannot be found etc.

I have done a similar thing in the past on another PC and all went fine, but not this time, I have formatted and reinstalled with the same result, I have put all service packs on, no difference, but it does prevent me from reformatting without taking the disc out, which I don't want to do.

Any advice??

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Start - Run - type

sfc /scannow

press ok

let windows scan for and replace any missing or corrupt windows files

Like this post
GBL

Likes # 0

Have done that and rebooted, still no change, it tells me that the Installer is not installed correctly and to run msconfig, but that is not found either. There is no ethernet and program files show Outlook express as empty.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer