We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is AVG PC Tuneup a trustworthy programme?

Phoenix21
Resolved

Likes # 0

I run Windows XP. Even though I regularly "tidy up" my PC by running Disc Cleanup, Defraggler, and CCleaner, and also use Revo Uninstaller to completely remove unwanted programmes, my computer is now running very slowly with multiple "freezes". When using Internet Explorer, a small window keeps opening saying that AVG has detected high memory usage by Windows Internet Explorer and that the total memory used is 241 MB. It adds that AVG recommends closing and reopening the application for faster performance. Under that, it says Change when these notifications appear. I have tried closing and reopening it as suggested, but it makes no difference. When I click on the final sentence "Change when these notifications appear" it takes me to a new window where it scans my PC for errors, and then tells me there are hundreds of problems, but that AVG PC Tuneup can fix all of them, including ones in the registry.

I have always been very wary of downloading and using anything that supposedly cleans the registry, but as this is an AVG programme, I'm wondering if it is trustworthy because AVG itself known to be an excellent antivirus programme. I would be very grateful for any comments and suggestions regarding both this, and the problems I have been having.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have you tried the registry cleaner in CCleaner?

Run it remove everything it finds then keep running it until you get No Issues (probably 3- 5 times in total)

Its very safe I haven't bothered backing up the registry for years running this as it never removes anything likely to cause a problem.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

Thanks, Fruit Bat - I'll try that now and will report back once its completed.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

You could be cloged up with temp files.

Open my computer, right click on your system drive and select properties.

Select disk cleanup and allow the system to find unwanted temp files.

You could also try deleting the cookies. from Explorer , Tools , Internets Options , delete and select the options you require.

Other browswers have similar options.

Download Starter http://codestuff.tripod.com/products_starter.html to see what is running in normal mode, some programs you download autostart on bootup although you may not need them.

Terry

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Foe another well trieed and trusted reg cleaner, try REGSCRUBXP http://download.cnet.com/RegScrubXP/3000-2094_4-10820427.html.

I use it on a regular basis and have had no problems.

Terry

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have cleaned the registry using CCleaner, and that has speeded things up quite a lot. I use disk cleanup every week but I ran it again today. The only thing that is not functioning now is the BBC iPlayer that I use to view "catch-up TV". It cannot get past the "loading" stage. However, the ITV player is working perfectly which seems a bit strange, as I assume they are similar programmes?

Going back to my original query, does anyone know anything about AVG PC Tuneup? All the reviews I have read about it seem quite positive but I would appreciate some expert opinions from this forum.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You don't need starter as a start up tool is built in CCleaner so you can disable delete or leave whatever you need to start on boot.

I would suspect AVG ie legit (no experience) however all these tune up utilities do exactly the same thing (but some do more harm than good when cleaning the registry) so if you have CCleaner you can do most of it already (except optimise your internet connections)

I suggest you reinstall BBCiplayer.

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat. Incidentally, I have never installed the BBC iPlayer. The first time I went onto the BBC TV site and clicked to play a programme, the iPlayer just opened and played it.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have a look in Taskmanager when it is running just to see what is using up most of the CPU.I used to find AVG was a bit of a resource hog.Plus it used tointerfere with other security programs on my computer.

I have never tried Tune Up before but lots of free programs out there that do as good a job.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad