We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No Sound on my friends Desktop PC......baffled as to why

julius44

Likes # 0

Hello and good morning to uo all. I was at a friends place yesterday evening for a a cuople of hours, as he and his other half have just finally got internet access installed. He had purchased a HP Windows 7 64 bit machine a few weeks ago, and he had attached it to a BENG monitor which HAS internal speakers. When I got there he stated that he had switched off the sound from the BIOS settings, so we went to BIOS settings to enable the sound. Logged back on and I tried EVERYTHING from sound settings still no sound from desktop via the monitors external speakers. When he inserts his headphones there is sound, I installed a webcam that comes with a mic, and when we speak into the webcam for a test the green light for voice moves...but still no sound. I'm wondering WHERE the problem is......he has used this same monitor with speakers on an old visa laptop and it seemed to work ok. Any suggestions please?? I wont be seeing him for a while, so any suggestions i'll have to ring him and guide him through any thing. Thanks loadz

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Does he/she have the cable from the speaker out of the computer to the Monitor connected?

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

Hello Brynit.....the cable goes from the monitor the the back of the base unit of the desktop

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

... and the cable is plugged into the correct hole? There are several for various inputs and outputs.

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

Hello Bjh, I didnt check that out, but I thought that there is only ONE connection to connect from the back of a monitor to the back of the base unit??

Like this post
bobbybluenose

Likes # 0

Like this post
steve12345

Likes # 0

That's probably the Digital/Analogue video cable. That won't carry sound signals to the monitor. (Unless it's an HDMI cable which will carry sound, but that's not likely). Your friend needs to connect the audio cable (should be a 3.5mm socket/plug) from the PC base-unit's audio out socket to the monitor. An alternative would be to get some external speakers which would most likely give better sound as internal speakers on monitors are usually not very good.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

If you have inserted the headphones in the same socket on the Computer as the Monitor the fault could be with the monitor speakers or cable.

Try connecting the monitor speakers to another device.

Try another cable.

Does the Monitor have a mute button?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I also find it convenient to have 3 additional shortcuts on my Taskbar. (standard Windows Volume often fails to appear on boot)

Start/Search for each of 'volume', 'sound' and 'audio'. Check each to make sure none of the options have become muted.

The 3.5mm jack does seem likely though, it's the lime green one on the base unit.

Like this post
wossie

Likes # 0

@ Steve 12345......What are you on about? Digital/Analogue video cable. Its sound he want's, and he mentioned he tried head phones. The sound output socket is usually lime green. Go to the device manager and see if there is any yellow exclamation marks beside the sound/audio.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

wossie, seems clear to me steve12345 is saying:

If the monitor-to-computer connection is a VGA cable (usually blue on both ends), an additional audio cable is needed between the monitor and the computer. Check that the audio cable is connected properly

If the monitor is connected to a computer using an HDMI cable, the HDMI connection can be used for audio as well as video. Ensure HDMI audio is selected as the main audio output in the operating system (for example, Windows Audio Properties in Control Panel)

more info ClickHere

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 6 (or any smartphone) on contract: Get the latest tech and save...

IDG UK Sites

Corel Painter 2015 review

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK