We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

im building a pc for the first time

arronz
Resolved

Likes # 0

i need some help choosing a graphics card and a psu. also im not sure if what ive chose already will work together im going to be buying all this. intel i5-760. the asus p7p55d-e lx motherboard. coolmaster v8 cpu fan. sharkoon scorpio pc case.western digital coviar 1tb hdd.and a lite on sata drive if you could suggest me some alternatives that would be great thanks in advance

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi

Sorry, I can't help you with whether componets are Ok with each other but, as you're building for the first time, have you considered getting a 'barebones' kit, and then adding the other bits? Still much cheaper than 'off the shelf'

Cheers

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

What is your overall budget?

What do you use a PC for mainly.

I think you would be better off going the sandybridge route with an i5 2500K CPU and a P8P67 motherboard. But it really depends on your overall budget. Remember you will need to factor in an operating system which should be Windows 7.

Like this post
arronz

Likes # 0

i never knew they sold kits but i will look into it now thank you

Like this post
arronz

Likes # 0

my budget is roughly £700 and i will be using it for gaming and media but im not gonna be playing top games

Like this post
arronz

Likes # 0

and thanks for both your replys

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

A quick spec, you can obviously tweak it to suite yourself.

CPU: i5 2500K. £161.21 LN37506

Mobo: GA-Z68P-DS3 - £75.22 LN41414

RAM: 4gb 1600mhz DDR3 - £24.48 LN37493

HDD: 2 x 500GB - £62.83 LN28751

PSU: EZcool 500W - £25.67 LN8039

GPU: XFX HD 6870 £137.62 LN37721

CASE: Coolermaster Elite 430 £38.38 LN34936

CD/DVD: SATA DVDRW £13.99 LN39605

Which comes to £615.51with postage.

The LN numbers you can just put in the search bar at Scan Computing.

Like this post  
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

If you are interested in checking out BareBones, I suggest you Google 'Barebones computers'. I went for the company that comes up first (Novatech) but the second (eBuyer) is also reputable, as far as I'm aware. Hope this doesn't class as spamming!

Cheers

Like this post
arronz

Likes # 0

thank you very much for your reply also if i get all of what you suggested can i get another graphics card later on if i decide to get more into pc gaming

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

You really do not need another graphics card this will handle all you can through at it at high settings, if you want to spend more then have a look at a HD6950 or a HD6970 or a Nvidia 560TI or 570 or 580. But these are high end graphics cards.

This mobo has crossfire so you can add another 6870 should you want.

Like this post
arronz

Likes # 0

thanks for all your suggestions i think im going to go with what gengiscant suggested

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...