We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

FUJITSU SIEMENS LAPTOP FREEZES

I can't fix it !

Likes # 0

I have a Fujitsu Siemens laptop, running XP Home Premium, that now freezes after a few minutes from power-up. This happens with any application; Word, Excel, Firefox, MS IE etc. I can then only continue by switching off, using the power on/off switch. When it powers up again, it does so without trouble, as if Windows had been turned normally. There is plenty of free space on the HDD since I have few programs installed and all my user files are saved to a network drive.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Have you checked that your fans are free from dust which will cause overheating and of course problems. You can also have a look in the event viewer see what errors have been recorded.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest http://www.memtest86.com/

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Check device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks beside any of the programs [drivers].

Even though nothing showing it does not mean that some of the drivers are not in need of updating.

See if it works Ok in safe mode with networking if so a possible driver problem.

[safe Mode] just keep tapping F8 or F5 as the computer starts.

Like this post
I can't fix it !

Likes # 0

Thanks to all of you for responses and help. All is OK now; hard to say which of a number of actions I took finally resolved the problem, but I went to the Fujitsu Siemens web site and used their driver checking service to update a few drivers and software; I used the recovery CD to repair XP (it seemed to locate some issues) and I downloaded some Windows updates. I went back and forth to safe mode a few times too, and suddenly the laptop continued working OK, and has been OK since. Thanks again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer