We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I enable 'Hardware-assisted virtualisation' in my BIOS

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7 32 bit - FF 7.0.1

I ran a Microsoft test and it said 'HAV' wasn't activated on my ASUS Mobo. I need to activate it to run 'Microsoft Virtual PC 2007'.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

In the cpu configuration, make sure the Secure Virtual Machine Mode is set to Enable.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Cheers gengiscant

I was hoping I would be able to do it within Windows, using the 'AI Suite II'. It's not a problem, but even though ASUS calls it 'EZ Mode' it's still a minefield in there. Though a lot better being able to use the mouse.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

gengiscant

I couldn't find...'Virtual Machine Mode'

But I found and enabled...'Intel Virtualisation technology'

I hope that is the equavilent?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Oops...'equavilent'...should read...'equivalent'

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Just had a look in my P8P67 Pro manual and yes that is the one.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Thanx gengiscant

I'm glad to hear that, delving around in the BIOS is not my favourite PC pastime! : )

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I assume you do not bother in the black arts (overclocking) or just making sure that your RAM timings are correct then?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

gengiscant

"I assume you do not bother in the black arts (overclocking) or just making sure that your RAM timings are correct then?"

I'm afraid that I have to put my hands up to the fact that where 'overclocking' and the like, that involves poking around in the Bios is concerned, I am totally in the dark. It certainly isn't a field that I feel happy in. Although I'm a great believer in having my PC running at it's optimum, when it comes to me getting stuck in to that area then I like to have step-by-step, graphic directions, that I can foolow.

There have been times that I've set out to find out more about those subjects, but when faced with wreaths of info my eyes tend to glaze over. I'm not a great one for readng. I've never ever, even actually read a book from begining to end. I get to the bottom of the first page and nomatter how many times I read and re-read it, it just doesn't sink in.

I realise I'm not painting myself in a good light here, but truth be known I have some sort of dislexia. A word blindness and yet I seem to be able to write, short stories and poetry without problems. I guess it has something to do with the fact that they're coming out of and from me and I'm not trying to put in something from someone else!

either way the only way I find out what and or what not to do is by trial and error. Playing around with software on, in and around the desktop and following direction from someone you trust is one thing. Before going down these roads I always set a System Restore Point first, as a fail safe. I'm not sure that the BIOS has a fail safe?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Actually the BIOS does,it's call reset and there will be details of how to do it in the motherboard manual,which of course is a book,so thats you knackered.LOL In fact modern motherboards will actually have a backup BIOS chip. With Asus boards, which I tend to use, if I tap CTRL on power up that will reset my BIOS.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I was quite chuffed with myself when I Flash Updated my Bios the other week. But then the new ASUS Mobo is far more user friendly than they used to be. Being able to use the mouse is far more superior than fiddling about with up-down arrows. Updating your Bios from the Desktop how cool is that?

Yes I too use ASUS, when you said..."Just had a look in my P8P67 Pro manual" I knew we were on a similar wavelength. As mine is...'P8H61-M LE'. although I too looked in my manual, before starting this thread, but I couldn't see any reference to 'Hardware Assisted Virtualisation' (HAV).

But now, using 'VMWare' I've been able to turn an external HDD into a virtual drive and I loaded WinXP as the OS. Also, apparently, if I so wished I could set it up to boot from there too. At the moment I don't see any mileage in going down that route. Initially though I created a direct Internet link, but only so I could register the OS.

So as you can see where there's a will there's a way, even if the barrier is a reading problem. A lot can be done for the likes of me, with the aid of video screen captures and putting them on YouTube.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'