We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Some Excel help.

gengiscant
Resolved

Likes # 0

I would like to set up an Excel spread-sheet to keep a track of my weight which is quite important at the moment. Its quite a simple sheet in that it only has three columns. so am looking for formulas to do the following.

The first line has the date, I need that to change monthly and yes I could do that each month manually.

The second is current weight.I will obviously need to input that monthly.

The third is change over the month.

The fourth is the overall change a figure that will change over the months.

I hope I have explained myself, this is a rare foray into spread-sheets and to be honest I have not got a clue really.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Thats another column sorted (C) thanks to compumac. But the last formula has got me beat.That character before and after C ? and this advice of putting the cursor between B3-C3 and pressing F4 has got me beat also.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

In your first formula say "=B3-B2” these are relative cells to one another. An example of RELATIVE position on the spreadsheet- one to the left of me and the one two cells above me. An asolute reference is to ONE specific cell ie. $C$3

To ensure that in that column you are always refering to the intitial weight contained in B2 every time. the $ sign contained in the formula simply means that that is the absolute reference (and not perhaps one to the left and two above me) it must always refer to a specific cell on the spreadsheet Placing the $ sign makes the reference an absolute reference. You can type in the individual characters i.e. $C$3 but placing the cursor between the C and the 3 and pressin F4 is a little more convenient. Grasping this back in the eighties took me some time so do not hesitate to come back if it is still double dutch

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Are you measuring the weight in kilograms or stones and pounds or just pounds? This affects the spreadsheet.

For kilos or just pounds: Col 1 Date Col 2 Weight - First time weighed on 2nd (B2) Col 3 Weight loss per month = B2 - C3, B3 - C4 and so on (Compumac has explained that. Col 4 Total Weight loss = B2 - D(row number)

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi Gengiscant

You're doing well. Just the last column to go.

The Dollar sign ($-Shift and 4) just before the column number and before the line number causes the calculation to be from that particular cell, no matter where you drag the formular to. So, you just need to put the Dollar ($) sign before both C and 3 (if that is the cell where your start off weight is.

Compumac's suggestion of placing the cursor in the cell between C and 3, and pressing F4 is a shortcut to typing out the Dollar signs twice - just an alternative, but easy, way to do the same.

Hope that helps to make it a bit clearer for you.

Well done, though

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Sorry it is just not happening, what is that symbol before and after C? Is it a dollar sign if so this is what I am getting. Sheet 2 As for putting the cursor between C and the number and pressing F4 nothing happens so I must be missing something.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

It looks as if you have not put the equals sign (=) at the beginning and thereby you are entering text. Do not forget the equals sign (=)

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

We will get you sorted!

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

When you create a formula that refers to another cell or range, the cell or range reference can be relative or absolute. A relative cell reference adjusts to its new location when the formula is copied and pasted. An absolute cell reference does not change, even when the formula is copied and pasted elsewhere.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi

It looks to me that your formula in Cell D4 should be

=B4-$B$3

This gives a minus figure for the overall amount lost; a positive figure if a gain, based on your new weight subtracted from your starting weight.

If you want a positive figure for any loss, just put =$B$3-B4 in the cell.

I suspect it didn't work without the = sign before the formula.

Try that, eh? Cheers

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Oops, Compumac beat me to it! ;)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...