We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

WHERE is the rest of my 320Gb hard drive???

julius44

Likes # 0

Hello and good evening to you all. Okay, here we go, and i'm hoping that i can get some help with this please. I have a samsung Rv510 laptop that I purchased a few months ago from argos..exact link is here

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5084715/c1/1|categoryroot|Office%2C+PCs+and+phones|14418968/c_2/2|14418968|Laptops+and+netbooks|14419039.htm

I purchased this laptop in July, as I also have a desktop, and it has a hard drive disk space of 320gb hard drive(as advertised). I never really checked the hard disk space on it, when i was using it and I had loadz of stuff on the hard drives which I then copied to an external hard drive. I will be selling this laptop on gumtree is a few days, and I decided to restore it to factory settings yesterday, and ive done all the updates and everything is fine, but when I go to my computer, it shows the local disk C drive as 206GB free of 230. The only drive that shows is the c drive, and I know that there is probably the samsung recovery disk that takes some space, but for me to have 206GB left from a 320gb hard drive is way too small, and when I wanna sell it on gumtree, how can I confirm to a potential buyer that it came with a 320Gb hard drive please??? If i can try and claw back MORE of the hard drive from wherever it is hidden, that would be much appreciated. Any suggestions please??

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I'm guessing it has W7 installed and also guessing that this might work the same as Vista.

Click the start menu and right click computer from the list. Now click manage and then expand the disk storage menu at the left. That should list all the partitions on the HDD and their space... if it works like Vista :)

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

Thanks mooly, I did as u instructed, and it gave me the following information: Cdrive 230.82GB NTFS, 23.77GB unallocated, 25.72GB healthy(OEM partition), 17.67GB Healthy Recovery. So please can u tell me HOW i can increase the C drive from the 23.77GB unallocated please??

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Now that I don't know...

To increase and merge partitions safely requires a partition manager program. Vista (W7??) does have a basic one included I believe but it's something I have never delved into.

Get it wrong and without some form of external disk image backup (such as Acronis with full disk images on a separate USB drive) and you could end up with a PC that's unusable.

As to your original question... if you add up 230gb + 23.77gb + 25.72gb + 17.67gb you come out with 297.16gb

That could well be a 320gb drive due to the way gb's are used. 1kb isn't 1000 bytes, it's actually 1024

I have a 120gb drive split into two equal partitions drive and that shows as 53.2 and 53.6 gb for each... ie not a 120gb. But that's normal.

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

okay mooly....do u think Easus partition manager would do the trick???

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As you are selling it,

Why not leave C: as it is and just make an new partition from the unallocated 23.77GB

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Go back in Disc Management where you were earlier. Right click C, Extend.

Or if it is greyed out, Easeus will do it.

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

Hello robinofloxley, pls can u tell me how to do this in disk management please with Easus partition manager please?? Or as lotvic said, make a new partittion from the unallocated 23.77Gb please??

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

The 'unallocated' is just to the right of 'C', yes?

Disc Management:

Right click Computer icon on Desktop. Manage Disc Management Right click 'C' Extend Volume The Wizard starts, just click Next, next, next (the Wizard automatically selects the sizes to fill the 23GB).

Easeus Right click 'C' Resize/Move Hover cursor over right of partition that pops up. Drag the right hand edge to fill the unallocated space (Cursor changes to bars, not cross to do this) Click OK, then Apply on Main Screen. Easeus asks to reboot. Agree.

That's it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...