We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook 2007 continually asks for username and password

douglas1973
Resolved

Likes # 0

When I press send/receive in Outlook 2007 a window opens asking for the username and password. I enter the correct username and password, click ok and then the window just pops up again. I know that the password and username are correct and I have ticked the box to remember the password, but the window still pops up again and again. I have 4 accounts. It is now only happening with the main account whilst before it randomly happened with any of the accounts. Yesterday I phoned BT Internet who told me that Outlook must be corrupted and that I need to reinstall it. I told the "technician" that it would seriously inconvenience me and that I was very doubtful that it could be the problem and asked him to put me on to his supervisor. The latter insisted that it was the problem and that there was no alternative. I notice that this problem is widely discussed on the internet and in PC Advisor but I have not found anybody who has a solution! Surely there must be one!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

Outlook doesn't have to be reinstalled to correct some corruptions. Scanpost or scanost will sort most of them out. OS?

Like this post
douglas1973

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell. I am running Windows 7 Profesional. I am able to access all my emails in BT Yahoo webmail. I will try Scanpost and/or Scanost.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Oops typo - scanpst or scanost. See MS Support

Like this post  
douglas1973

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell.Have run both scan.pst and scan.ost. In scan.pst "Only minor inconsistiences were found. Repairing is optional". I repaired. In scan.ost "Errors were found in this file. To repair these errors click Repair". I repaired. So far so good but I have found that sometimes the problems I have described in my first post come and go. I will wait a few days and get back to you. In the meantime many thanks for your help which is much appreciated.

Like this post
douglas1973

Likes # 0

Hi Woolwell. Unfortunately 2 of my 4 email accounts are now continually asking for my password again!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It is odd that 2 out of 4 accounts are asking for passwords. I suggest that you double check the account settings. Asking for passwords sometimes means that the server cannot be connected. Do they connect if you put in the passwords?

Like this post
Dirty Dick

Likes # 0

I am running Windows 7 on both my laptop and Desktop Pc's. Outlook 2010 on the lappy and still on Outlook 2003 on the Desktop and I am also with BT Openworld (BT Internet).

I am also getting the pop up on a regular basis on both Pcs. I check the box "save password" then ok, and eventually it logs on. More often than not, it comes back showing an error.

Like this post
Dirty Dick

Likes # 0

I am running Windows 7 on both my laptop and Desktop Pc's. Outlook 2010 on the lappy and still on Outlook 2003 on the Desktop and I am also with BT Openworld (BT Internet).

I am also getting the pop up on a regular basis on both Pcs. I check the box "save password" then ok, and eventually it logs on. More often than not, it comes back showing an error.

Like this post
douglas1973

Likes # 0

Unfortunately Outlook has started asking for my password again. Help! So many people have this problem - surely ther must be a solution. BT (my service provider, does not want to know saying that the problem is with Outlook which they do not "sevice".

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Double check BT set up. Do you get any error messages? You may need to set up a new profile MS Support but back up your existing e-mails first. Personally I have not experienced this problem but I am not with BT.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad