We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iTunes, iPod Touch and the Library

exdragon

Likes # 0

Hi, I'm confused. When I connected the Touch today, I accepted the update to v5.0. I then sync'd it with iTunes, but all my music vanished, as had that on the Touch.

I tried a couple more sync's and eventually got the music back on the Touch. All my music showed in iTunes, although all but a handfull had exclamation marks against them. Clicking on any of them brought up the message that the original file couldn't be found. Trying to locate it doesn't work and the Library isn't where it should be (My Documents/My Music/iTunes etc).

I've tried searching for a title but nothing is found. Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Any takers for this one, please?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

This has happened to me on many occasions.Apple may make nice gadgets but itunes is an absolute nightmare.

You say the library is not where it should be, where is it then? Do you still have your old library? Which should be in the My Music folder.

The simplest way to sort your Touch out would be to remove all music and then use itunes to add it all again from your My Music folder rather than syncing.A pain I know.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Hmm...I searched for one particular album and found it in the Recycle Bin (I'd deleted it as it was duplicated). I restored it to the original location and it appeared in the right place. I checked the properties on another song but although it gave the location, the file is just not there although it is listed in an XML document.

I don't really want to delete everything in iTunes and then sync with the Touch, in case everything is wiped off the Touch.

Back to the drawing board,I fear.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Itunes holds nothing more than a copy of the original album or folder. I look in the My Music folder and every album etc is there as well as the itunes folder which will also have a copy of any album/folder that I have synced to my Touch.

You must still have all your music just put it back on your Touch after deleting whats there already.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

gengiscant - my albums just aren't in the My Music folder, apart from the one which I said I'd restored from the Recycle Bin. The Touch already has everything on it. I'm not sure what the XML doc is for, though.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Just remembered, this happened after I'd upgraded to iTunes 10, I don't know if this has any bearing on anything. I may try another install.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

So you are saying that apart from the itunes folder you have no music on your PC?

Reinstalling itunes 10 will not find your music if it is not there.

This is what My Music folder looks like and as you can see it contains the itunes folder. Screen-shot. Does your folder not look something like this?

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

No, nothing like that on the pc, (apart from the one restored album) but I thought if the titles were there, then the music should be! I think I've got myself into a mess, trying to do something which doesn't exist, haven't I!!

Oh well, I suppose I'll have to start again, won't I? If I remove all music and then sync, which will take precedence - Touch or iTunes or isn't that an option?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

If your music is not on your PC then it really does not matter as as far as itunes is concerned the music does not exist. If it is on your Touch and still plays then use something like this: Copy trans which will copy your play-lists and music back into itunes. Got me out of bother on more than one occasion. Nowadays if itunes buggers up my music then I just put it all back on again using the My Music folder.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try when I get back.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......