We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

what second hand pc

gary.st

Likes # 0

Hi everyone , and thanks for taking the time to read this post , I'm sure the question has been asked a 100 times . First of I'm using my phone right now I don't have a pc to upgrade etc , looking for something second hand and cheap as possible . I want to use it to store and play music , surf the net , download and stream movies through my tv . Store pictures and do basic editing to them . And the usual net surfing , play online poker no other gaming at all I have looked on eBay but have no idea which one is better than the next and if they are good or bad lol . The best reply would be one that said buy this pc in this link . One other thing how can I be sure a pc has in it what the seller says it has . Any tips or advice appreciated and thank you for reading this

Gary

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Firstly...what is your budget ? How much will you go to ? Also, have you used a pc previously ? Second hand market is a minefield and your "fears" are justified regarding what spec you are sold.

Like this post
gary.st

Likes # 0

I had a lap top before but its about 7 years old hard drive broken , think the fan also and I wired the power direct to the board as the connector kept breaking , The budget really is the cheapest I can pay for a pc that will do what I need . Really a case of looking on ebay or gumtree and buying the cheapest that will do what I need .

Like this post
gary.st

Likes # 0

200 , to give a figure , I know I want get a lot for that maybe upgrade when funds become available

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Again, depending on your budget you may be better off looking at a "refurbished" computer. You would get a warranty which you wouldn't get with a second hand one. As per iscanut's comments you may not get the spec. that is advertised.

Like this post
gary.st

Likes # 0

I read on here about a program you can run that tells you about what is in the pc , not sure if the seller would be ok to let me do that or how long it would take . A refurbished pc might be a good idea , I'll look into that ,

I'm going to post details about pc's for sale , any advice on them would be appreciated

Thanks for the replies

Like this post
gary.st

Likes # 0

110pounds Windows XP Home; AMD Athlon 64 3400+; 1Gb RAM; 200Gb HDD; DVD drive and DVD writer; Card reader; wireless. HP Pavilion t770uk with HP f1723 17

110 Hi for sale is a full pc system as recently got a new one built.

Its a dell tower with:

pentium 3 gigabyte dual core processor. 3 gigabyte of memory 512 mb graphics card 2 x 160gb hard drives dvd rewriter etc

comes with windows 7 64bit version. keyboard & mouse 19 inch lcd monitor.

This is quite a decent spec machine and will manage to do lots of things like playing games etc

100 I have a Dell Dimension 9150 Desktop PC for Sale Here are some Specs:

Intel® Pentium® D Processor 940 (4M Cache, 3.20 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) DUAL CORE

RAM- DUAL CHANNEL DDR2 4096MB (4X1024) 533M

200GB Hard Drive with Windows 7

PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8801

1 Floppy Drive

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU (PCIe)

5 SATA and 1 IDE Ports on motherboard

think there is 5 rear USB slots

2 front USB Slots and Audio

£100 O.N.O

That's the offerings just now on gumtree , the third is only the tower ,but seems like the best to me , Or should I forget them and look for something else

Like this post
gary.st

Likes # 0

Some random questions Can any pc be hooked up to a tv ? And can a pc be hooked up to my surround sound system what connections would it need .

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

If you fancy using the PC for more than a couple of years, XP is almost obsolete. It will be by early 2014.

It should work well, mine does, but spares are difficult to come by, as many parts are no longer in production. You may find that some, of the latest, kit will not work on it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...