We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

hardware monitor finds problem on startup..go to power setings etc..

Emperor Penguin
Resolved

Likes # 0

When I turn the pc on, usually after a few hours of it being turned off I get this message but I can't see anything in the bios that looks wrong. It's a budget setup built from old bits from my old pc and a few bits I picked up from a car boot sale. The moterboards is an ASUS a7a266. Any ideas why I keep getting this message?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Go into the Hardware Monitor in BIOS.

Make sure your CPU Fan Speed is set to IGNORE

and Chassis Fan Speed set to IGNORE.

Like this post
Emperor Penguin

Likes # 0

Fingers crossed, it hasn't happened in a while so I'm assuming that worked. thanks

Like this post
Emperor Penguin

Likes # 0

I turned on the pc this morning after making the changes you suggested and the problem is still there..

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I would have a look at the thermal paste on the CPU ,not to much or to little is the key.Renew it would be good, Check all fans particularly the heat sink and P S U are free from dust build up. Check all connections are firm, remove and reseat is always a good idea. If,as you say that your build is made from bits and pieces got from old PC's and car boot sales then it is highly probable that a part is failing,with mono being the likely suspect. But,as I assume,you like to potter with PC's then you have an interesting challenge.

Like this post
Emperor Penguin

Likes # 0

The core of the pc is my old Asus a7a266 which didn't have any problems previously. One thing that is strange is that the readings in the "speedfan" program look ridiculous, it always gives readings of 127 for something, even when the pc has just been turned on, I'm wondering if some sensors somewhere are getting it wrong.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Just because you do id not have a problem previously does not mean you do not have one now.As I said I suspect that the mobo(=mono)is failing.

Like this post
Emperor Penguin

Likes # 0

This happened again this morning at boot up and when I went into "hardware monitor" to investigate there was a red 4.5v next to the +5v which then went up to 4.7. I don't know what this means exactly but could it be that my power supply doesn't have enough oomph after it's been asleep for a while?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Not knowing what your PSU is I couldn't hazard a guess. But I do know that the PSU is a very important component, when I first started building I did not realise how important a PSU was. I appreciate that you have put this PC together from budget parts but it would not hurt to try another PSU.

Like this post
Emperor Penguin

Likes # 0

I changed the psu yesterday and the problem is gone now.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......