We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

GIF Images

Yimbo
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a number of Images which have come to me in GIF format - which display only as a plain white screen. How can I change the format, or do something else, which will allow the photos to be seen?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You can try to open the .GIF files using Windows Photo Viewer by following the below mentioned steps:

1. Right click on any of the gif images, open properties, click Change.

2. In ‘Open with’ window, open Other Programs and select Windows Photo Viewer as default program to open with.

3. Click Ok, all your gif images will open in Windows default photo viewer.

If you have picture files with .gif extensions, for example, they will not appear in Photo Gallery and can't be edited using the Fix pane. If you want to see these pictures in Photo Gallery, you should change their file type to a format that Photo Gallery can display (JPEG is recommended).

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Thanks northumbria61 - Following your guide, I've got to your point 2, to discover that I don't have "Windows Photo Viewer" (it's XP home I have, and maybe WPV is not part of it)). I do have "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" but it doesn't display the photo.

How do I change format to JPEG, as you suggest - which doubtless will display the photos?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Use Irfanview to change these to jpg files Free Irfanview Download

Note however that gif images are usually very small and you may not get crisp images in jpg format nor will they be very large.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

QuickTime Player

1 Download and install the free version of QuickTime Player.

2 Open QuickTime Player.

3 Click "File" and select "Open File." A window will open.

4 Search for and highlight the GIF file you want to open. Then click "Open." The GIF file will show up in the middle of the player.

5 Click "Play." The GIF file will begin playing in the middle of the QuickTime Player.

Or:

1 Download and install Quicktime

2 Right click your .Gif and click on Open With.

3 another box will open with a list of programs.

4 Click on Quicktime and always use this program.

Like this post  
wee eddie

Likes # 0

What size are these images?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I wasn't aware you were using XP - this explains why you couldn't find Photo Viewer.

Windows Photo Viewer is an image viewer developed by Microsoft that is included with Windows 7.1 It was also included with Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 under the name of Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.2 It was temporarily replaced with Windows Photo Gallery in Windows Vista,[3] but has been reinstated in Windows 7

However you may be best to go with the other suggestions - the choice is yours.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

As a Supplementary to my question as to the size of these files.

When you click on one of these .gif Files, what is the name of the Program, that follows the name of the File, in the Bar across the top of the Window that it opens in?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

rightclick the .gif, choose open with (your browser) Internet Explorer or Firefox, rightclick on the gif and choose Save As and choose .bmp or whatever, save to file and then you can open it with your other programs.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Once saved as a GIF or Bitmap could certainly open it in Microsoft Paint then which is already included with XP and then just click File, Save As, Save as type from tick down window, and select JPEG in Paint.

However are these GIF attachments to an email, or are they animated GIF's, not quite sure where the OP got them from exactly and if emailed what mail client Outlook Express?

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Thanks folks for all your help and advice.

I've now got the photos to display using Quicktime as per gengiscant Thanks again!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more