We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

IBM ThinkPad R30 Laptop - small problem

Graham*

Likes # 0

This laptop was part of an auction lot. It is loaded with Windows 2000 Professional. The wireless is locked to an IBM network. If I connect my router by cable it is not found.

I installed Windows XP and it became dual boot, but no sign of wireless. I can, however, connect to the router by cable. It is very slow on XP, I get 'virtual memory low' message.

I would like to remove XP now, but can't see how. There is no separate partition for it. System Restore in 2K seems to be disabled.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sounds like you have filled the hard drive by installing the second op system on the same partition.

in 2k look at the drive you may have a second windows folder windows.ooo this will be the XP version.

Delete that folder then use msconfig bootini tab - check boot paths to get rid of the dual boot menu.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Thanks, I've deleted Explorer (2), but msconfig won't run. I can do regedit, though.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

sorry forgot msconfig not ib 2k but can be added (have it on my W2k pro laptop for so long I had forgotten.

MSconfig http://www.techadvice.com/win2000/m/msconfig_w2k.htm

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

OK, msconfig working now.

Only one Windows folder in 2K, so still got XP. Anywhere else it could be hiding?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

can you post the boot.ini file?

open it with notepad copy and paste the contents here.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

I can't easily do that. Boot.ini says both OS are on partition 1, Windows=XP, WINNT=2K. It looks like I could simply delete the Windows folder.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\, thanks for getting me to the boot.ini file. I've deleted the Windows file and removed it from boot.ini. XP is now gorn.

Wireless networking next...

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Try removing the wireless connection in control panel network connections

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Thanks, we dive at dawn.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

After much faffing, I can't get the laptop to see the router. And the router can't see the laptop. The closest I can get is 'Adapter enabled, Status disconnected'.

As this was a company laptop, perhaps it is locked to an IBM network.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer