We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB 3 versus USB 2

redeyenewby

Likes # 0

What is the difference between USB 2 and USB 3? Can a USB 3 BE PLUGGED INTO A usb 2 SLOT?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

USB 3.0 has speeds of up to 5 Gbit/s, 10 times faster than USB2.0 (480 Mbit/s).

"New connectors and cables for higher speed data transfer while maintaining backward USB 2.0 compatibility"

Yes, USB2 devices work in USB3 slots, USB 3 devices can be plugged into USB2 slots but of course will only work at the slower (480Mbits) speed.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just found out on my computer that I had my USB3 plugged into a usb2 port.

Just looked up my owner manual and it gives 1 USB3 port and the rest are usb2.

So I would think that if the ports are separate there must be a difference.

Needless to say I have now got it plugged into the USB3 port which updated the driver for it when I rebooted.

Like this post
redeyenewby

Likes # 0

Thank you Fruit Bat /\O/\ and buteman, I looked up a website which gave me a comprehensive explanation of the difference between the two. To ,odify mu computer to accept USB3 (which is 10 times faster than USB2 would, I understand, be horrendously expensive). My computer, although not ancient, is definitely pre USB3. I learned that USB3 is backward compatible, so it shouldn't be a problem with existting equipment.. The article was fascinating. Aparently USB1.0 USB1.2 have 2 speeds, USB2 has 3 speeds ans USB3 has 4 speeds. Sorry, I hope I;m not teaching my Grabdmother how to suck eggs. Thanks for your information.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

redeyenewby

I can't see any difference using usb3 rather than usb2,But then again I don't play games or anything like that so I cannot really comment on it.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you have PCIexpress slot free a USB3 card is as little as £16

see here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen