We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB2 through hub?

Pineman100
Resolved

Likes # 0

Ignorant question:

I have a cheap 4-port USB hub - I think I got it free with something-or-other.

If I plug this hub into a USB2 port on my computer, will all four of the devices that I plug into the hub run at USB2 speeds?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes

One at a time :0)

remember you are sharing speed (and power if the hub is not powered), if all 4 devices working together then they will run (transfer data) slower.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Many thanks, Fruit Bat /\0/.

I have one other supplementary question. I remember noting when I bought the computer that it has two USB ports and two USB2 ports. But having lost the blurb that came with it, I can't remember which is which!

There are no markings on the case by the ports, and so far as I can see Device Manager doesn't show which ports are which. How can I find out which ports are USB and which are USB2?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Make and model?

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

It's an HP Notebook - Pavilion DV3-2000 series. I've had a look at the manual on the HP website and it shows where the 3 (not 4 as I said above!) ports are - 2 on the left together and one on the right built into an e-SATA port. But it doesn't make clear which are USB and which are USB2.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps off subject slightly, but using hubs I find that some devices will not work (scanners?) unless the hub is a mains-adapter supplied power unit.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

spuds - I find that all the devices I plug into the adaptor work fine, but they are all independently powered so don't need their power from the USB port.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

service manual shows all 3 as being USB 2

If you plug a usb2 device into a USB1.1 port windows will give a message" this device will preform faster....."

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks for that FB. The strange thing is that, when I plug devices into my hub, I get the report that you mentioned. This is really what prompted me to ask my question in the first place.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The hub is plugged into a usb1.1 port on the PC try another port on the machine.

Often is rear ports direct off the board that are USB2 and ones on haeders (like front ports) that are USB1.1

Like this post  
Pineman100

Likes # 0

OK, I'll try that.

Thanks very much for your help with this. Much appreciated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia