We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Silverlight - what is it ?

Furkin

Likes # 0

Hi folks, I've resisted the offer of Silverlight so far,,,, but heard someone mentioning it on a train the other day. I currently use IE-9 for 99% of the time, & I have Firefox installed in case IE goes t|ts up.

What is Silverlight ?

What are the pro's-n-con's ?

thanks

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

All you need to know. Silverlight

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Silverlight is just a web browser "plug in" like Adobe Flash Player.

http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/what-is-silverlight/

Unless you have actually visited a site that has asked for Silverlight to be installed before you can view it then personally I wouldn't bother installing it.

In fact does anyone know a site that actually uses Silverlight...

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

thanks,

I've never been asked for it. I just keep seeing it in my Win Update & wondered what it was.

I'll probably stick to what I have until Win-8 comes out. I'm thinking of trying the beta version on my lappy,,,, just to get to grips with it.

cheers mate

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

It is a must install if you have SKY GO on your computer - it won't work without it.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

As too Windows 8.

It's not really a Beta program, it's well before that stage and is a "developer preview".

Don't even think of installing it unless you have a way back...

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/29/windows-8/4087110/a-quick-initial-impression-of-w8/

And as to Silverlight... just hide the update so it's not visible.

Like this post
mimosa418

Likes # 0

I mistakenly installed Silverlight and had untold problems with updates failing. I have now uninstalled it from both my machines and will wait till a web site tells me I require Silverlight before I worry any more about it.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

cheers all,

Silverlight ? Havn't missed it yet - so No - won't bother.

Win-8 ? I was going to try it on my lappy which is only a stand-by machine, with hardly anything on it yet,,,, but knowing my luck, it would bu@@er things up anyhoo. Another No - won't bother,,,, yet.

sorted - thanks

PS: I seem to be losing my curser now & then when typing in PCA - anyone else ? Everything works o.k, it's just that I can't see where the curser is !

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'