We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how to find the windows cd key

howard64
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have taken the hard drive out of a netbook and I have connected it to my main pc in order to find the cd key so that I can reinstall w7 on it. I have downloaded magical jelly beans key finder and used the hive to view the drive. It tells me I do not have the permissions necessary to do this. Can anyone either tell me how to overcome this or point to another free key finder prog. Thanks in advance.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Reinstall W7 .... in which case, the Key should be on a sticker on the outside of the computer.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

PS - I meant to add, on the outside of the original computer of course.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

This a great bit of software will even pull a COA number off a problem PC if you plug the hard-drive in to your own rig.

Produkey

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

WinGuggle may help. I'm not sure these things give you the correct key anyway.

You can backup your existing encrypted key then restore after re-installing.

How to reinstall Windows without reactivate

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

the netbook does not have a cd key sticker on it nor does it even have a manufacturers name but it is well specked 2GB ram 320GB disk web cam. When you try and start it attempts to start w7 ultimate it eventually ends with a bsod and memory dump. I have tried produkey but it does not show it and says that w7 can give it problems. I cannot back it up as I cannot get it to run. I would like to be able to edit msconfig on the drive while connected to mine but do not know how to do this.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Tried a startup repair?

Put drive back in netbook

Tap F8 as it boots to get into tools select startup repair from the menu.

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ I have tried using startup repair but it fails to correct things

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

My Samsung nc10 Netbook as the Key stuck to the bottom of the Netbook. I put Cellophane over it so it does not get rubbed off

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS the one in Regedit is not the same as the one on the Label Windows changes it when you first install windows to a different format Number

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...