We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Toshiba Satellite A300 power fault.

bda72
Resolved

Likes # 0

My laptop has developed a strange power fault, it will charge the battery while it is off but when you turn it on it seems to run off the battery then power down when the battery goes flat. All the time this is happening the AC power light is on which suggests the power is connected and all is well, the battery light shows it is fully charged until power on when it changes from white to amber. I am going to buy a new battery as mine is not lasting very long and I need the laptop for work and can't afford to replace it right now. Any suggestions as to why the battery is getting charge but not the laptop itself.

Cheers.

Barry.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There could be a number of reasons. A loose connection, power adapter fault etc.

Try removing the battery from the laptop and see what happens when the mains power supply are then turned back on.

You could also have a look at this link for Toshiba information http://www.ehow.com/about5912125toshiba-laptop-battery-problems.html

Doing a simple internet search, there appears to be a number of Toshiba laptop charging problems mentioned, with some possible solutions.

Failing that, have you tried Toshiba support and customer care?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The above link seems incorrect, try http://www.ehow.com/about5912125toshiba-laptop-battery-problems.html

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There appears to be a problem with this site accepting the link and url?

Just use http://www.ehow.com and search for toshiba battery/charging/power problem?.

Like this post
bda72

Likes # 0

Just had another look at the laptop. Power light was on and the white battery light was on to indicate the battery was fully charged. Removed the battery, power indicator now on by itself. Tried to turn the laptop on and the other lights(apart from battery)flash on for almost a second then the machine goes dead and all lights go out then after a couple of seconds the power light comes on as before. It would appear the laptop has power when off and can charge the battery but when the full load of turning the machine on is applied it "trips out".

Charging the battery is not the specific problem, the problem appears to be supplying enough power to the laptop when it is on. I have been reading other problems related to Toshiba but not this specific situation.

The hunt continues.

Cheers.

Barry.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Does it work with battery removed?

Like this post
bda72

Likes # 0

Closest I have found to the issue is below but it doesn't state if the battery will be charged with this problem or if the symptoms are no power at all.

"Power Jack Problem:- Power jacks on these laptops have a known history of losing contact between the positive pin and the motherboard. You can diagnose this problem if you notice your laptop using battery power when the power adapter is still plugged in. To fix this problem you have to disassemble the laptop and take out the motherboard. You then have to solder the power jack."

Barry.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If power jack were faulty then it would not get any power to charge or run from mains only.

Something to try:

1. Turn off the computer,
  2. Take the battery out
  3. Take out the power supply
  4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect power supply
  6. Then the battery. This is because sometimes the mother board gets static and this clears it.
Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
Jana S

Likes # 0

I believe I had the very same problem. I went to Amazon and bought a battery that is compatible with laptop from BattPit.

Once I connected the new battery, the system powered on fine again but the Toshiba was not able to properly display the battery properties; it saw it as an unsupported battery. Nevertheless, my laptop continued to function.

Then after a few days, I decided to give my old battery another try and to my surprise, after I left it charging for some time, the battery started to work again. That would seem to indicate that the old battery cells needed to drain completely before it could accept any new charge. Either that, or magic.

Hopefully you get something to work either way. Good Luck!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Jana S

You may have a point there. I tend to find that 'rechargeable batteries' on handheld spotlight 1/2/3/4/ million candle-power lamps, sometimes come back to life, if left to fully discharged and then recharged to capacity.

Charging through mid-cycle or part use can have a 'bad memory' or detriment effect on some power units. If the battery is faulty, then you have nothing to lose, by trying the above.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features