We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

display driver installation causing high cpu usage for the last 20 mins..?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

I tried to switch user without logging off, and the display went completely black and hanged indefinately. Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-General error-"An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably.The Registry could not flush hive (file): '\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE'.

I was not installing anything at the time. After 30 mins, I forced a switch off and restarted. A message popped up on reboot, that it had "found a solution to my problem"-and offered me to update my display drivers. Curiously, the drivers on offer were already installed beforehand (an intel vista and win7 compatible gfx driver), and on deciding to give them a reinstall (its better than a black screen every time I want to switch user), I now have my system giving me the message that there was a problem on install. Upon checking the taskmanager, the system cpu is now on 60% in total indefinately as it tried to install these drivers. I thought it might be a UAC issue preventing the installation, but that was turned off before the first black screen (I see black screens ALOT with UAC). You can see everything that is running on my system from the image below-the hard drive has been going mad for the last 20 minutes, as if its still trying to install

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5186/unledntw.jpg

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

In the event viewer I have multiple non stop entries for the time its set to a black screen after switching user (ive just been in another for over 50 minutes-I thought the system might finally correct itself-I was wrong). They all show "Source: System, Application popup:\SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys failed to load" every few seconds. This is when the processor seems to be running fairly high, and evidence of this may be in two single events I have that differ to the above:- "Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power Description: The speed of processor 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 48 seconds since the last report."

Ive tried searching for a fix. This post suggests I should try changing firewall:- http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?55622-Black-screen-when-using-fast-user-switch-in-vista

Some other forums suggest its a hardware issue that might not be possible to fix in vista and 7, as that may be down to the manufacturer updating its graphics drivers and nothing more:- http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/w7itproui/thread/80b7b992-897d-4425-9ed8-29901404d529

I dont think Ill be using that automatic update for any graphics drivers anytime soon again (or switching user), but both the generic graphics drivers and manufacturers drivers have the blank screen effect whilst switching :( Ill try a change of firewall or switching off other system protection to try and work out if that could be the main cause. I doubt thats the problem. Sending the error report for each log gives no further info. Has anyone else had an issue in switching users in vista and 7? Not that im suggesting you try it, as you may then be forced to watch a blank screen for more than a few minutes with your processor at the max, before being forced to do an auto shutdown :(

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback