We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Startup errors/Startup repair

Esc4p3

Likes # 0

Hi, I did the usual round up of updates last week, including Adobe Flash/Reader and Java, then backed up my PC. A couple of days later (perhaps coincidenally), on startup my PC bluescreened and when the PC started I had the black and white screen that normally says 'start PC normally' as the top option, except this time it said 'run startup repair'. I thought uh-oh, so ran it and after 15 minutes the wizard finished an said it could not repair anything. So I turned the PC on again and everything was fine. It has just happened again.

This time I ignored the startup repair option and the PC started fine. When the OS had loaded I got the 'let Microsoft check what the problem was' dialog box, which I normally cancel - but this time I didn't. It reported that the problem is due to a USB driver issue. I tried the first solution to do with adjusting power saving options, but I already had the recommended settings. I haven't ever updated drivers for my motherboard or the USB drivers? There is only one USB device fitted at startup which is my Hauppage TV stick thingy, it has been there for about 5 years....

My PC is a Evesham Win Vista one, about 4 years old...I haven't ever messed with it really. Any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance :-)

Like this post
Esc4p3

Likes # 0

ps...spotted the deliberate error, the TV stick has been about 3 years!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the USB drivers

In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB, reboot the PC let Windows find and install new hardware. Your equipment should now be recognised.

Like this post
Esc4p3

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ , I may try that and report back what happens. Sounds a bit scary though!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room