We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 7 security

pejay9
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just ordered a new PC with windows 7. and when it arrives I would like to install Microsoft Security Essentials. It would seem the first action I need to do is uninstall any other security software, If I do that is it not unsafe to go online, or can I access the Microsoft web site without going through a browser. Alternatively download the .exe file to a USB flash drive on another computer, then move the .exe to new computer and run to install. This would be my first attempt to do anything this way so my research may be wrong.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes you can pre-download it now and save it ready to install when you get your new pc.

Quote from: answers.microsoft.com

"How do I get MSE if I do not have an internet connection or have a slow connection? From a computer with internet access, you can go to www.microsoft.com/security_essentials. Once there, click on "locales and languages". There you will see the links for the 32 and 64-bit OS. When you select the one you need, just save the download file. To get the definition updates, go tohttps://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/ADL.aspx and select the same for the definition files, and save them as well. While on this page, you can also view what changes have been made to the latest definitions."

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...