We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blue screen XP pro

jason.p

Likes # 0

I'm getting the dreaded "blue screen" about 5mins or so after booting up. This comes with various error codes eg: stop: 0x000000B4 0x8A610DF8 0x8A4C6000 etc.etc On one screen it said the video card could not be initialised so I'm thinking of downloading and installing a new driver. Looking on display details it looks like the display is "IntelRG33/31 express chipset". Is this the video "card" and can a new driver be downloaded and installed. The Pc seems to be working OK in safe mode. OS is XP pro. Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

This can be caused by a resource conflict between the Parallel port and Graphics card if the Parallel Port is set to 03BC.

1. Boot computer and press the F8 key at the Starting Windows screen.
  2. Choose SafeMode , then log in as Administrator.
  3. Right-click My Computer .
  4. Select Manage .
  5. Double-click Device Manager .
  6. Click the + sign next to Ports .
  7. Left-click one (1) time on LPT1 , then right-click one (1) time and select Properties .
  8. Click the Resources tab in the Properties box.
  9. Uncheck the Use Automatic Settings box.
    1. In the Settings Based On box choose a Configuration , which uses a different port setting.
    2. Click OK .
    3. Close Device Manager .
    4. Restart the computer
Like this post
jason.p

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruitbat. I went through the instructions to ECP printer port LPT1, and in "Resource Settings" there was: 1/0 range 0378-037F,

1/0 range 078-077F,

IRQ 07,

DMA 03

and in the "settings based on" box:

Current config Basic config 0000 Basic config 0001 Basic config 0002 Basic config 0003

I tried changing the DMA3 to config 0003 (couldn't see 03BC), but that didn't work. Still running OK in safe mode!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

I/0 range 0378-037F is fine

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # -1

0x000000B4: VIDEODRIVERINIT_FAILURE

Windows was unable to enter graphics mode, because no video drivers were able to start. Commonly this is a video driver issue, or a hardware conflict with the video card. Reboot in Safe Mode (which uses a default VGA driver) and see if this resolves the problem. If so, try to correct the problem by disabling, removing, or rolling back the video driver.

Like this post
jason.p

Likes # 0

Thanks again Fruitbat. It won't even boot up in safe mode now. It just keeps looping through the blue screen. Fiddled a bit with the BIOS, but not sure what I'm doing! I've taken it to a local repairman in desperation. Thanks again for your help

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 1

If it does it about 5 min after starting sounds like it could be overheating if the graphics card has a fan check to see if it is working and that it is not clogged with dust underneath it. While you are in there check for dust all round.

Like this post
jason.p

Likes # 0

I've just had the PC back from my local repairman. It turned out to be a "blown" capacitor on the motherboard. He managed to replace it, which saved me a new motherboard. I would never have found that myself! Thanks again for all your help.

Like this post
jason.p

Likes # 0

.......forgot to say. There was a lot of dust etc inside the tower which could possibly have caused overheating and component failure. Think I'll try and be a bit more regular with my housekeeping!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback