We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Paint.net - how do I do this ??

pcdimwit

Likes # 0

I am using Paint.net programme for various photo editing tasks, I have a photo which was taken against a varying background, I want to take the subject out of the photo (or draw round him) and make all the background a plain neutral one, can anyone tell me roughly how I should go about this, from "opening" the photo in Paint.net and then what do I do?? do I add a "new layer"? which tools do I use and how do I erase the background from around the subject or draw around the subject to drop him onto a new background - is this possible?? thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I have no experience of Paint.net, infact never heard of it until I saw this post, but there is a Pain.net support forum Click Here you may find that a current user can help you.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

I don’t know anything about paint.net but if you are unable to do what you want to do, here is an excellent program that will give you other ideas for photo editing, e.g. pencil drawing, sepia, pixilation, invert and many others. There is no downloading or installing, just experiment with the Editor and Effects Tabs at the top. Best of all it is free and it’s simple to use, here http://ipiccy.com/

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Although I use Photoshop, these programmes are usually similar. I would open a new photo file, and fill it with what you want (clouds etc) Then open the one with the subject (leaving the other one open). Use a lasso tool to draw around the subject _ dont worry if you get a bit more. Then use "edit, Copy" This should put a copy of your subject in the clipboard . Go to the new photo (NB keep both photos at the same dpi). Create a layer, then "Edit , Paste". You can then tidy up the edges (use eraser), move it etc. When happy you can flatten the image. Hope this works in Paint.PS when closing the original do not keep changes and it will be as it was.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

John Bunyan - how do I open a new photo file in paint.net? I can only see the import new file on the "open" file from the tools, thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

how do I open a new photo file in paint.net

File>New will open a new empty file into which you can paste whatever you want.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features