We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Kaspersky has taken down my PC - Assistance Required Please!

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7 - 32 bit

I ran Kaspersky's 'Rootkit' Scanner and it said it found 6 threats. 3 were 'Locked' 3 were 'Forged'. It then told me to choose one of 3 solutions for each threat...

Skip - Quarantine or Delete. At first I choose 'Quarantine'. Then it told me to rescan, when I did it once again brought up the 6 threats and again offered me the same 3 solutions. This time I chose 'Delete', on reflection I now think it was just showing me what it had in quarantine. It told me to reboot, that's when my PC went belly up!

As I see it, I now have one of two choices...'Repair' or 'Reinstall'. When I first got this PC, I made A repair disk, but I also have a Full Windows 7 Disk.

Here is where I'm at now, I've used the disk to get me to where Windows starts. I've installed the 'Files' and 'Drivers' and it is now asking for...

Files of type: Setup Information

It's showing me 3 HDD and 1 Device with Removable Storage this contains the repair disk. Of the 3 HDD...

1 - (C:)

1 - (X:)

1 - (D:)

and the CD Drive is (E:)

What I'm about to say isn't a riddle, however...

The Drive marked (C:) contains 99.9 MB of which 64.8 is free.

The Drive marked (D:) should be marked (C:) as is my HDD and has 445 GB free.

The (D:) drive should actually be the CD/DVD drive, but that's marked (E:)

The other HDD calls itself Boot (X:)

The PC had several attempts to fix itself with no luck. My guess is that it's trying to fix the drive marked (C:) Windows says the problem is with the Bootmgr. I've chosen 'setup' from BOOT. But Windows won't let me choose the drive to run it on. I've tried changing the drive letters where I am, but it won't let me. Anyone have any ideas, I'm unable the get into Safe Mode.

Now here is the problem

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You need to choose the Repair Option - enter link description hereInsert your Windows 7 startup disc and start your PC. Follow the information given on the screens (as you scroll down) in these instructions.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Why not disconnect all the drives bar the one with Windows 7 on it do a start up repair, then reconnect the others?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

gengiscant

3 HDD and a disk drive is what I get when I've disconnected all the drives except for the internal OS and the CD/DVD drive. Where the other two come from I haven't got a clue. I've never seen them befor this happened? Or why the drive letters are incorrect?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

northumbria61

I managed to get into 'Advanced Boot Options' but it dosen't say for 'Windows 7' it says 'Windows Setup' and although it has more choices than the one on your link shows...'Repair Your Computer' isn't one of them!?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

northumbria61

Instead of 'Repair Your Computer' it said 'Safe Mode'. So I selected that, where it gives me two choices...

1 - Install Windows 7

2 - Repair Your Computer.

I'm selecting that.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

It ran, but couldn't find a fix, then it rebooted and brought me to 'System32' and it's asking for a...

Files of type: Setup Information

If you look back at my original opening gambit you'll see I've been here before.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

It's asking for information about my hardware?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

use this to boot the machine and swap the C and D drive letters

Do not touch X these are the tools for repairing the machine

I suspect the extra partition (drive) should be hidden as it may contain an image for the windows repair tools to perform a factory reset.

Once the letters are correct use the windows repair options to do a startup repair if needed.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Thanx FB, I was about to call it a night

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I've done a download from your link. I'll get back tomorrow with an update. I just hope that putting in a partition doesn't erase my stuff from the hard drive?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination