We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is this a good build for my new Gaming PC?

TheFallenTrojan

Likes # 0

Ok, let's get this clear. When people start talking about CPU's and Motherboard's, I am extremely confused and usually turn off. So I was wondering, is this a good build for a gaming PC?

AMD X4 Quad Core 3.1GHz

8GB RAM

2TB Hard Drive

ATI 6770 1GB Graphics

8x USB2

Gigabit Ethernet

DVD Writer

And then you've got the included crappy mouse and keyboard, the Windows 7 operating system and all that jazz.

My cousin who is into computers can't really explain it in normal non Jargon English left me these instructions:

Intel Core i5 2500k - £170

Motherboard - P67-No - Z68-Yes

CPU - Geforce 560Ti or 570 - Radeon 6870 or 6950

I am sticking to a budget of a maximum of £650 so if someone can give me some advice on parts and stuff it would be much appreciated.

PS: It's a desktop not a laptop, just though I should slip that in.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

CPU - Intel Core i5 2500k - yes

Motherboard - P67 or Z68 - Yes. Both good boards.

GPU - Geforce 560Ti or 570 - Radeon 6870 or 6950 anyone of these cards is fine.

PSU - Get a decent 500W minimum.

HDD - Split your hard-drive in two,so you have 2 x 1TB hard-drives which means one will back up the other. If you have everything on the one drive and it fails then you could lose everything.

Get a decent case, a gaming PC produces a fair bit of heat so keeping the insides cool is a must.

If you want I'll put together a spec for you tomorrow and you can run it by your cousin. I have been building a while now and I like my FPS's .

Let me know.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

PS. Doe this include a monitor?

Like this post
TheFallenTrojan

Likes # 0

No, it hasn't got a monitor included but my parents are paying for one separately. But yes, I will run your build by my cousin as long as it is £700 or under.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

OK,I'll have a look tomorrow.

Like this post
TheFallenTrojan

Likes # 0

sorry, got the number wrong, the comp has to be £600 or under

Like this post
TheFallenTrojan

Likes # 0

also, just a quick side note/question, will my graphics card be able to play Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Guild Wars 2 and other high graphic games?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Heres one spec thats just over your £600 budget but it includes the postage and you are buying from a store that I use for most of my components as they have excellent customer service.

Spec

You can easily shave some cash by shopping about. Hard-drives for instance can be had cheaper.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Sorry for the reference to a cousin earlier.Mixed my posts up.

Like this post
TheFallenTrojan

Likes # 0

This just brings me to the SCAN website,if you wanna just write down the specs you got then I will take a look.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Don't know what happened there.

CPU: i5 2400 - £148.98 Ln36728

Mobo: GA-Z68P-DS3 - £75.22 LN41414

RAM: 4gb 1600mhz DDR3 - £24.48 LN37493

HDD: 2 x 500GB - £62.83 LN28751

PSU: EZcool 500W - £25.67 LN8039

GPU: XFX HD 6870 £137.62 LN37721

CASE: Coolermaster Elite 430 £38.38 LN34936

CD/DVD: SATA DVDRW £13.99 LN39605

Which comes to £603.28 with postage.

I had to do it all again as I had not saved the last list which I normally do.The LN numbers you can just put in the search bar at Scan.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?