We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will Windows 7 Professional 64 bit ...

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

... run software originally designed for XP 32 bit?

I am aware that W7 Professional will run in XP mode.

It may seem a daft question to some, but I have no idea if the above is possible. The reason I ask is that I have found my less than up to date XP machine is becoming less reliable and need to upgrade. I have looked at many PCs and, effectively, seen there is little difference in price between a W7 32 bit and a W7 64 bit PC. Given that it would appear the market is becoming biased toward 64 bit architecture it seems worth moving that way with a replacement.

One additional question. I know that a disparity existed with drivers for XP 64 bit compared to 32 bit, has this been resolved in W7?

With thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you have a suitable pc you can try them before you decide to buy

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

Download the English(USA) SP1 U (media refresh) .iso's for both 32bit and 64bit for the W7 version that you want to try out for 30 days.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Move to W7 64 to get the best from a new machine.

If you have old equipment you wish to connect, check for w7 drivers, if no drivers available then get a machine with w7 pro and use XP mode when connecting your old equipment.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Thanks for coming back people.

As I said, I am aware that W7 Pro will run in XP mode, but my question was aimed at the difference (if any) of moving the software from 32 bit (my current XP) to 64 bit (the proposed W7).

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

johndrew, your guess is as good as anyone's. Most old software will work, some won't. It would help you said what the software is then someone who is using that program can better advise on how well it works.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

lotvic, thanks for the suggestion, it makes sense.

In terms of software it would be that supporting my scanner (Epson V500 Photo), ABBYY Fine Reader, Pinnacle Studio 9, Ashampoo Photo Commander 8, MS Office 2003 and a few other, similar items. Most of these are not reflected anywhere on any site I've found as either not functional or definitely would be.

As I said before, they are 32 bit biased and I am considering an upgrade to 64 bit; ignoring the change from XP to W7, the change from 32 bit to 64 bit must have some effect. Additionally, spending in the order of £400 to replace all the software if none function is a big bite out of my budget.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I found a MS article on this subject which removes most of my concerns. The following excerpts may be of value to others:

"Most programs designed for the 32-bit version of Windows will work on the 64-bit version of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs."

"Device drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows won't work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows."

If you want to view the full article it's here.

Thanks to all who responded.

Like this post  
johndrew

Likes # 0

I also confirmed that both my printer (an old Epson Stylus Color 740) and my scanner (Epson Perfection V500 Photo) are supported by W7 automatically.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days