We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

virus on my pc threat all the time now !!!!!

paulhis777

Likes # 0

hello all i need help please went on my pc on the 21st then all these malyware threats kept on popping up i have never seen a threat like this !!!!! all my prorgrams no longer work i.e micro, word. msn. internet explorer.and many more when i try to open them they all say it has been moved or chainged so i have tryed to download msn and internet explore it wont let me do it it says the site is down im using these free MALWAREBYTES, AND AVAST and windows defender. IM USING WINDOWS XP and last night my sons pc went haywire all these threats kept on popping up my sons pc found a trojon and yet when i do a full scan it finds nothing !!!!! i also have 2 hard drives my second where i keep all my photo`s ect, any help please thank you paul

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The first thing to do is ensure all your security software is fully updated.

Go to 'My Computer' and right click. Select 'Properties' and then click the 'System Restore' tab. Tick the box that says 'Turn off System Restore on all drives'. Click 'Apply' and 'OK'.

Restart your PC in Safe Mode and run full scans with Avast, Malwarebytes and Defender. This should clean out the threats.

If they are still present, it could be that a rogue security software package has installed. Search Add/Remove for anything you don't recognise and either ask here or investigate online.

Whilst online you could run one of the free checks such as HouseCall for extra confidence.

When you are satisfied the PC is clean go to 'My Computer' and restart 'System Restore' by unchecking the tick box, clicking 'Apply' and 'OK'.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Which program told you of the 'threats' and 'malware'?

There are a lot of spoof fake programs (they impersonate real programs) that start with popups like that while you are surfing the internet and get you to click on them to do a scan and 'fix'. They look very similar to proper programs so you have to be careful to look and see exactly what they are.

examples list of screenshots and removal guides:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum55.html

http://forums.malwarebytes.org//index.php?s=a01db07f3f4d6fa77edd9c4ffd41b268&showforum=39

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If it was me I would disconnect the 2nd harddrive that has your photos on so they will be safe from corruption whilst you clean up the harddrive with XP on.

Like this post
paulhis777

Likes # 0

thank you all the prorgrame that found these viruses was avast but i must add i have been using these for a few years also i did try to restore to a earley date but it did now work i cant belive how many promgrams are not working now firefox is the only means of conencting to the net thank you all i shall try a few what you have asked me to do bye paul

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

A few false positives from avast last month and if they were removed the computer would not work properly.

The only way out it for me was doing sfc /scannow in command prompt.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just had a look at them they were Win 32:Cybot-IK trojan.

What they deleted was Kernel32.dll a lot of folk had problems with it.That was on the 23rd of September.

Maybe it was not your problem but it was mine.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

johndrew should have emphasised in capitals, KEEP SOFWARE UP TO DATE, Malwarebyes, SAS etc can have several updates daily, so if you don't have auto update installed just make a point of doing it, I only found I had had Trojan attacks when I looked in logs and quarantined items.

Lots of programs become unsafe, Adobe, Java etc if not updated frequently, I use FileHippo and Secunia to keep track of them.

Like this post
paulhis777

Likes # 0

hello all can you help can`t seem to re-start my pc in safe mode ? i press f8 no safe mode there ! thank you paul

Like this post
paulhis777

Likes # 0

hello all just clicked on all your links to sites i.e housecall and the rest of them firefox keep saying server is down but its not im able to browse elseware ? why is someone blocking these sites ? i cannot enter housecall looks bad for my pc thank you paul

Like this post
paulhis777

Likes # 0

sorry opened a new thead asking how to start pc in safe mode i have did that now but blue screen error came up a prolem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

any more help please paul

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)