We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wi Fi card won`t instal

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi everyone , I am trying to move into the 21st century at last but can`t seem to do the simplest thing. I want to change my existing 4 comp wired network to wireless as I believe the new router will be faster. Using Windows XP Pro on a pent 4 with good specs as main machine. I have set up the wireless router OK. Using a PCI card in the main PC, it says "Found new hardware" but it won`t install it even though it is new with the CD driver.

Can anyone help please, I expected it to be a nightmare but I wasn`t planning on falling at the first hurdle :)

Thanks Ray

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As its 'seen' in device manager try to install the drivers from there. As it's a new card the CD drivers might be for Vista or Win 7.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks for the quick reply I will give that a try.

Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Dave, tried that to no avail. The instructions with this are hopeless, it tells me to start with a file XXXXXX.Exe (example) but the file is not on the disk. I have managed to install it now by trying various other files at random until one worked.

I have a feeling that the companies that make these things are aware of the errors and sell them off cheap to dealers who sell them on Ebay not giving a toss how much aggro they cause.

Thanks for your reply.

Ray

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...