We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

can i have more than one graphics card plugged into a computer?

StevenE586
Resolved

Likes # 0

can i have more than one graphics card plugged into a computer?

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

Yes you can if your computers motherboard has dual PCI-e x16 interface card slots. if you have an older motherboard with only an AGP graphics slot then you might still be able to obtain a PCI graphics card. If you motherboard only has 1 x PCI-e x16 slot then it might have a PCI-e x1 interface slot and there are a couple of x1 PCI-e graphics cards available.

what motherboard / pc do you have? I,m presuming you are asking this in responce to your other post about external graphics cards for laptops.

Regards

Aquatarkus

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

You have 2 threads running with similar questions.

I assume you have 2 graphic card slots on your computer, or are you talking about using the onboard graphics and a plug in card?

As far as I am aware when you plug in a graphic card it automaticly disconnects the on board graphics.

You can run two monitors from the same graphics card, however unless it is a very powerful computer and a good card and all you want to run is office software, it is not advisable.

If you try to run 2 lots of graphic programs, you may well get poor quality on both.

Terry

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room