We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Memory Hungry Chrome

jimforrest

Likes # 0

Since I've had my Acer Aspire 5746 Laptop running Win7 Home Premium 64bit with 4gig of ram I've not had to use the forum because it seems to work fine - until recently! AVG runs in the background and today it threw up a window stating that Chrome was using excessive memory (560mb). There were three tabs open - my Hotmail inbox (which doesn't refresh but has banner ads), my Jag Forum index page (which is fully static), and a Flash powered 1 to 1 chat that I use for business discussions - but was idle. What I also noticed was that the cooling fan was at nearly full pelt and very audible - whereas it is usually not noticeable. So I shut all progs down and ran CCleaner, then CCleaner Reg Cleaner, Adaware, Malwarebytes. They found nothing. Then I ran Spybot but with it doing a scan and the cooling fan running very fast, the laptop shut down. It has now restarted, Chrome is running, and the fan is quiet. But not for long - after 30 mins I got another high memory (by Chrome) message and recommending that I close it. This is all very recent so I'm wondering - Is there a problem with the latest Win7 update? Is there a problem with Chrome being (suddenly) memory hungry? Any ideas?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

As you are probably aware, one of the new features of AVG is a browser memory usage checker. You can find out more online if you choose.

To check the usage of memory in Chrome and control it, look at the link.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

As the cooling fan isrunning 'Very Fast', it points to a couple of main possibilities.

1 The processer is working harder than it needs to-- Other programs running in the background

2 The CPU heatsink is blocked with dust and it cannot cool the CPU enough (Overheating)

3 You have a virus on your system . Has your Gmail Chrome been compromised?

4 Someonme else may be using your system (Wireless connection) - Hacker?

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...