We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

using pc abroad

nozzer57

Likes # 0

Hello to whoever. I am off to Spain shortly and I would like advice on how to access my emails and use my own pc from there.

Aye nozzer57

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I use webmail when overseas as otherwise it is a real hassle setting up different smtp settings, etc.

Like this post
nozzer57

Likes # 0

what is webmail?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Webmail - you access your e-mails through your browser instead of a dedicated e-mail client like Outlook, Outlook Express, Live Mail or Thunderbird. If your e-mail address is with your isp then you visit their web site and read your e-mails.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Or you can set up a Gmail account which, as long as you remember your password, you can access your emails anywhere in the world.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

It is usually suggested that to access emails when travelling (using your email client, such as Outlook Express) one should use SMTP server of the local connection (e.g. WiFi hotspot). This is widely recognised as THE solution and one that I have used on a number of occasions, but depends upon finding out the relevant SMTP server details (not always easy). Sometimes it is just a matter of asking for the SMTP server details, other times (e.g. when the establishment does not know the server details) I have asked for the name of their ISP and just googled for the SMTP server info.

However, even that does not always work, as I have found out a couple of times recently. This is because some local services require that your mail client software authenticates in order for the SMTP service to be used (and the establishment probably won't be willing to divulge their ISP login details).

This cropped up when I was in Spain this May. Not wanting to mess around with webmail, I pondered for a few minutes. The need to authenticate for the local server got me wondering: "What would happen if I tried to use my home ISP’s SMTP server and authenticated for that?"

So, in OE6 (yep, still using that), in the Server tab of the mail account Properties dialogue, under Outgoing Mail Server, I checked “My server requires authentication”, clicked on the Settings button and entered my home ISP’s login info. Lo and behold, it worked a charm. I can now send emails using OE6 from anywhere in the world without having to concern myself with local SMTP server settings. And I just leave the settings the same when I am at home and it all works fine still.

Furthermore, to add to the complexity, I also have several old email accounts (which I still actively use) that are hang-overs from old dial-up services. I used to go through and set the local SMTP server for these (at home they were set to use my home ISP’s SMTP server, but without authentication). Now I’ve simply set them all up to use my home ISP, but with authentication, and they all work fine, no matter where I am.

Problem solved – permanently (I hope).

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Have just realised that I started the above posting with:-

"It is usually suggested that to access emails when travelling...."

That should have said:-

"It is usually suggested that to SEND emails when travelling...."

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Batch - I don't think that works with all ISP's.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Woolwell - maybe not, but then as I've explained, using the local hotspot's SMTP server doesn't always work (i.e. not practicable) either.

If authenticating with one's "home" ISP works, it is the better solution, as once it is set-up it should continue to work for all future trips (assuming one stays with the same ISP).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks