We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

processor advice

adampc22

Likes # 0

hi i have a HP DC7100 convertible mini tower which has a Intel Pentium 4 3.00ghz 2.99ghz cpu i would like to update the cpu to something more modern and faster but i dont really know abut these things so i was wondering if u guys could give me some advice on what i should buy ? though i am on a budget so i dont have masses of cash to spend :( thank you in advance for your help : )

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you look at the spec and the age of your machine I think you will realise that upgrading the processor is not a financially viable option. An upgraded processor will not give you a huge boost in performance, the only processor you could get will be a used one (probably from ebay), the board also uses DDR memory which is very expensive nowadays. In short you would be better advised to look for a more up to date PC. Those using AMD processors are generally cheaper than those with Intel processors and you should look for one with DDR3 memory and one with built in graphics to keep down the cost. You could also consider building you own using a motherboard bundle from ebuyer or novatech or similar company, re-use your existing case, power supply and drives.

Like this post
adampc22

Likes # 0

: ( any advice on a good motherboard bundle to get ?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

What sort of budget are you talking about?

Like this post
adampc22

Likes # 0

60ish

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

For a mobo and CPU, no way. You would really need to double that. Might find something on the bay second hand.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide