We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

firefox uses too much memory

charlie 2

Likes # 0

Hi AVG flashes up saying Firefox is using too much memory, never had this before what can it mean

chas

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Right click the taskbar and select 'task manager'. See how much FireFox uses.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
charlie 2

Likes # 0

Hi rdave13 Anything from 3 to 13%

chas

Like this post
charlie 2

Likes # 0

Hi Thanks Fruit Bat there is a lot to look at there, plenty to think about, it's just I have never had this warning before

chas

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

On idle (browser not used) it's about 1 % CPU usage. Heavier than IE showing nil.

See Fruit Bat /\0/\'s link and if no better uninstall FF, reboot and try a fresh install. Ram usage of FF is lower than IE when idle. Possibly as IE part of OS.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Since updating to AVG 2012 I have had a similar problem, not using Firefox but Opera!

I regularly have 14 tabs open, and have done a bit of Googling and found a workround (turn the warning of) not ideal I know!

In AVG Tools goto Advanced settings/Appearance then then remove the tick from 'Display AVG Advisor performance notifications.

Like this post
charlie 2

Likes # 0

Hi Thanks everyone for your comments, I have re installed Firefox and the memory usage has dropped a bit but I still get AVG warning.It looks like this is part of the latest AVG version so I shall not worry but keep an eye on it. Thanks again everyone

chas

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If using W/7 type, Resource Monitor into the start bar then open it and it will tell you what is using the memory at the time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...