We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

no hard drive detected

smeetle

Likes # 0

this morn i was doing a windows defrag and my screen flashed up a load of numbers on a blue background,when i tried to reboot with my recovery cd it says no hard drive detected set up cannot continue,i had a look in the bios and the hard drive 0 has dissapeared,does this mean it is dead or is there maybe any fix around for this. the message on the screen didnt stay on long enough for me to note it down.

many thanks

mick

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Remove / refit power and data connections to the drive. might also be worth swapping cables.

see if the drive is detected in BIOS.

Like this post
smeetle

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit bat

thanks for the reply,,i have followed your instructions to the letter to no avail i get the following message. PXE.E61 Media test failure check cable. i have checked and even changed the cables,also i have a couple of spare hard drives which i also tried,but still get the same message.im baffled,any further assist would be most gartefully appreciated.

thks Mick

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

PXE.E61 Media test failure check cable

means its trying to boot from a network device , this is usually because it cannot find a hard drive or the operating system on a hard drive.

When you fit another drive you need to get the BIOS to detect it by setting it to auto detect the drives.

If it will not detect any drive and you know the drives are good and you know the cables are good then the only other faults may be a faulty PSU not supplying power to the droves or a faulty motherboard.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes