We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless password?

brindly

Likes # 0

I have just bought my wife a KINDLE which has WiFi, when i switched it on to charge it and make the WiFi connection it asked me for my wireless password??? is this the password I use to connect to talktalk or one of the numbers on the back of the router? We don't use the wireless connection because we had a lot of trouble with it so I ran a cable down to our laptop downstairs from the router. Its her birthday tommorrow and i don't want her dissapointed. Can she use the KNDLE with the usb connection instead.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

1. It sounds as if you have a wireless router (as do I) with Talk Talk, and it is connected to your PC with an ethernet cable. What is the make of the router? 2.Unless you have disabled the wireless on the router it should still be issuing a wireless signal.
  2. Some routers (like ny new Belkin) come with wireless protection already installed - nowadays WPA-PSK and a secure password given to you. Others are such that you create a secure password yourself.
  3. The router settings can be accessed by putting the address(with no prefix) in the IE address bar (Belkin is 192.168.2.1) The wireless safety on the left brings up the settings (other routers nay be different. I suggest you look at the router manual on line by googling the model No to see how to do this with yours I hope you are not inadvertantly sending out a non proteced signal. To check, your laptop , aif you disconnect the LAN cable, should tell you if it "sees" a wireless source nearby - usually this is on the right bottom toolbar.If needed you cold reset the router to factory settigs and create a wireless securiy password
Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

The code may be on the base of the router. If you have problems following JB's advice, yes, you can connect it by usb.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

How to put books etc. on your Kindle

With or without wireless (USB)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200375630

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

Thank you all, John Bunyan, yes I have a wireless router supplied by tiscali now talktalk, it is a SIEMENS Gigerset SE587. If i cant get the information from their site i will take the cowards way out and use the usb cable.

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

I have discovered th IP address 192.168.1.1 Is this the password the KINDLE asks for when it says enter password.

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 1

This is the IP address for your router settings not the password. For password see if the router has an alphanumeric string of 26 characters preceded by WEP or WPA.

The password will be the 26 characters - do not enter WEP or WPA

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 1

Add

If you enter the router settings via your browse you will also be able to identify the WEP/WPA key i.e. password for your Kindle WIFI setting.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Info here, Amazon but you must be able to log in to your router to make sure wireless is enabled. know the SSID ,what name it broadcasts AND security key.

It can be difficult if you're not familiar how to sign in to your router and if you haven't done it before but it's quite straightforward. You use your browser and type the router's IP address in to the address bar. This opens the router's log in page. That's the start. Ideally I'd start a new thread about your router so that someone can walk you through it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Not familiar with TalkTalk but a useful page about their routers and settings, click here

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You do not say which router you have but if it is the Hauwei EchoLife HG532 or 520 supplied by TalkTalk the home page of your Router is 192.168.1.1 (just type that into your Browser (IE or Firefox etc) and the details will be displayed.

The wireless password key should also be on a label on the back of the Router, it will be in the form of ABCDEFGH or it may have a number instead of some of the letters.

Best of luck getting it connected though = I had problems (gave up) but may not have been Kindle fault as having troubles with my router anyway. In the end I decided I did not need Kindle connected wirelessly and instead use the USB and then I could transfer books (drag and drop) that I have downloaded to a folder I made in My Documents (you have to be careful to specify in the buy/download where to save them).

I can't quite remember exactly but the connection problem was something to do with the routers connection type b,g,n.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)