We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wirless signal Repeater

rdh660

Likes # 0

Hi, I want to install a wifi repeater to extend my wireless signal to parts of my property where it it is finding difficulty in reaching. I have a wirless N router which works well but we live in a four storey house and the signal is lost in some parts. I do not want to use the extenders which utilise the house mains wiring. I have looked online to 'learn' a little about this installation but cannot find the answer to one of my questions. Can I install the repeater so that the ssid etc is the same as my normal wifi signal or will the repeater transmit a wifi network of it's own and require me to log onto that network when I am in areas of the repeater signal ?.....hope that makes sense. What I want to do is use the wifi from my router/repeater as one network and have my laptop log on automatically no matter which units signal (router or repeater) it is using. I am not very good at these installations so I would appreciate any advice. regards Rob

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

A quick search found this Click here it may be of help.

Like this post
Roadgiant

Likes # 0

I have a Netgear Universal WiFi Range Extender downstairs in my house which connects to a wireless router which is located upstairs,the downstairs one shows up as (name of my network)_EXT, depending on what room I am in sometimes I have to select which one I use (depending on where I am in the house) from the wireless symbol on the task bar, but I don't have to log in and out.

Like this post
rdh660

Likes # 0

Thanks for the quick responses. Has any body got any recommendations as to which repeater is 'best' My router is a Belkind ADSL wireless N model and to be honest works very well . Thanks again regards Rob

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers