We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC with windows 7 comes on but will not work now

dugit

Likes # 0

I have Medion p4101D windows 7 home.My PC started going slow occasionally a few weeks ago. What would happen for example when I clicked the mouse for something to happen the whole screen would often go like a white fog on top of what was on the monitor screen, also the cursor would be a small circle turning round and the PC usually just stuck like that. I would exit the screen by logging off. This sort of problem then started to happen more frequently until now the PC is unuseable. Today I have used F11 to take PC back to factory condition I get Windows 7 up but within a few minutes the mouse moves in jerky movements and I can't get anything to work. I've started in F8 safe mode mouse OK then moves in jumps but cannot click anything to happen. Have used start up and repair: result failed error code=0 X 490. Any suggestions please ?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Re do the factory reset you have nothing to lose.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

have you tried last good configuration.

Can you get into device manager to see if any problems on there.

If you have a printer or anything else connected remove them and see if it makes any difference.

I have a medion computer and it starts really slow at times.I have to wait for it to start then close it and restart and then it works ok.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

If you can get back into 'Safe Mode' again, before the mouse starts jumping, do a 'System Restore' to back before all this started happening.

If not and you have a full Windows 7 disk try doing a 'System Repair'.

Like this post
dugit

Likes # 0

Thank you for replies so far have tried: 1. Have tried factory reset again ,same result. 2.When you do factory reset you lose all configurations, and system restore information. 3. Device manager I have no idea what I should look for? Will try any suggestions please?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Can you go to 'computer' and right click the C: drive, properties, tools and check the drive for errors. Tick both boxes in the window that opens. The check starts on reboot.

Like this post
dugit

Likes # 0

Went back to look at my faulty computer and something had come up: American Megatrends then a few lines and at end it said : Port0 Device error

F1 to resume ???

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Generally means your hard drive has died

Might be worth removing and refitting the cables to the drive or even swapping power and data cables.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I suppose the time and date were ok.

Have you tried the bios to make sure it is starting with the proper drive,

Device manager will show yellow exclamation marks if any of the drivers need updating.

Like this post
dugit

Likes # 0

Unable to do anything with PC now so: 1. I intend to get a Hard drive replacement (present one is 1TB serial ATA2 interface), what do I have to be careful about when buying a replacement ?

1. My Medon PC has a recovery disc Windows 7 Home Premium (Medion AG) the Instruction Manual I have does not mention how to use this disc?

Any replies on the above two questions will be appreciated.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Contact medion if you can and see what they can do.

If bought from Aldi stores you will have a 3 year warranty with it.

Have you tried the Back to factory settings again to see if it will work again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote