We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Netbook Memory Question

ventanas

Likes # 0

Am wanting to buy a new netbook, this time with Win7 Starter. They all seem to come with only 1Gb memory. Basically, is this enough bearing in mind a chunk will probably be taken up with the graphics?

If any doubt I will go for a laptop instead.

Grateful for any advice

Like this post
RussB78

Likes # 0

I would advise you to go for a Laptop ventanas, I had a Netbook with Windows 7 Starter and I upgraded the Ram to 2GB and a Full Version of Windows 7, I just could not get used to all the scrolling and the Slowness of everything. I got rid of it.

But others on here will no doubt have different opinions about these things and will give you more advice, I do wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to buy.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i have a w7 samsung netbook 1g of ram. samsung support told me not to upgrade to 2gb as they had problems with many of them freezing up on 2g of ram.

they surf the net as fast as a desktop, but writing to disk at times [often] can be slow due to limited cpu & ram

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Netbooks are really only suitable for accessing the net and using lightweight programs. I have one that my offspring bought for me so that at least I would keep in touch whilst on holiday and that is virtually all I use it for. Great battery life, but that seems to be about the only good thing going for it. Providing battery life and light weight are not the primary reasons for choosing a netbook then, for not a great deal more money, go for a laptop which would be much more versatile.

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice, have decided to go for a laptop with 4Gb ram and dual core processor.

Should be a bit better than a netbook.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow