We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Network Connection Windows XP

wams
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi All,

My friend cant connect to the web using a wired connection, I thought I would have a look since I have another laptop with XP, I tried many ways to get a connection, now ive noticed in Device Manager under Network Adapters, on my OS XP I have 1394 Net Adapter, Intel(R) PRO/Wireless and Realtek RTL ( Family Fast Ethernet).

But on his OS (XP) he only has 1394 Net Adapter and Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI Adapter.

Should he also have a Ethernet Adapter as well or am I missing something?

Thanks WAMS

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Pretty sure that 1394 is for a firewire connection so, yes, there should be another.

description

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The "1394 Adapter" is a Firewire connection and not used for internet access.

In the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type ncpa.cpl and click OK), there should be an entry for a Local Area Connection, which is the ethernet adapter used for a wired connection to the router. If this isn't present, and the adapter's entry isn't shown in the Network Adapters section of Device Manager, then the adapter isn't installed properly. Is there an "unknown device" shown in Device Manager with a yellow question or exclamation mark against it?

Like this post
wams

Likes # 0

There is no "unknown device" in Device Manager and no yellow question mark or exclamation mark.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

How is your friend setting up the "wired" connection?

If it is with an RJ45 ethernet cable from the PC to one of a router's LAN ports and the network adapter doesn't appear either in Device Manager or the Network Connections folder, it sounds as though it has failed so completely that Windows cannot recognise its existence.

Like this post  
wams

Likes # 0

Its been wired direct from the modem to laptop. I think your probably right! And its a case of re-installing windows if not its a good idea if he bins this Dell Latitude D505.

Thanks for your help anyway much appreciated!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer