We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Second SATA - can't access files

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Neighbour's Mobo failed on his Vista PC. He has an older XP machine. Added the 'old' HDD in addition to the existing one. PC sees it and shows folders but denies access. Other things (such as CCleaner) open OK.

Where am I going wrong, please?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I don't know much about SATA, but do you have to set 'Slave' and/or 'Master', like with IDE's?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

No, there is no similar system (as far as i know!).

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I found this on the Net...

"there's no problem as long as you remember to specify which one is the boot drive in the bios"

This sounds a bit like my 'Slave' and 'Master'?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The boot drive is usually in the sata connection number '0' or if no number '0' then number '1'. They should be marked on the motherboard.

This might help, click here

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

It certainly boots from the original XP drive. rdace - thanks, I'll try your click here when I've been down the local for a well earned beer (real ale, of course!).

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Nothing to do with the drive

Its to do with access permissions, the old op system on the sata has different account than the XP therefore XP will not grant access.

Access Files If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed. To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

Access Files XP Home Simple file sharing is enabled by default in XP Home Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab. or http://www.whitsoftdev.com/rshx/ or http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/08/03/enable-and-display-security-tab-in-windows-xp-home-edition/ and click on the link at part one and download the required program. Follow the instructions and the security tab will be enabled. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY OR YOU COULD DENY ACCESS TO ALL YOUR FILES.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks FB - back from 2 pints of Station Bitter. About to devour a chilli, then I'll get the nose back to grindstone.

It's XP Pro, so will follow those guides in the links.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmmm. Doesn't seem to matter what I do, I still get access denied. Have been unable to produce the security tab. The MS Fixit had no effect. Thoughts?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If I right click, then properties on the original XP drive, I see a Security Tab. If I do the same on the former Vista drive, there is no security tab. Confused, over!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...