We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reformatting Windows - Virus Help please

mhurford

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have a problem, lots of viruses on the computer & am going to do a reinstall and upgrade to windows 7. I have alot of information and files Pictures + Music etc on 2 extra internal Hard Drives.

If i reformat my C: Drive do i have to do anything to protect my D: and E: Drives?

In addition to this if i keep the files on my D: & E: drives do i run the risk of retaining viruses?

What is the best way of going about protecting my Data and ensuring a clean install? I have very limited access to external Hard Drives to store pictures on and the information would span ALOT of disc's

Thanks for your help.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Why not put the reformat on hold and use some good anti-virus and anti-spyware software to clean your PC? I would suggest you do all scans in Safe Mode to minimise any virus/spyware activity.

Having done a good set of scans you could then use one of the online offerings such as HouseCall to provide a further bit of confidence.

If you insist on a reformat, you will still need to ensure your D: & E: drives are clean or risk reinfection. However, other than cleaning them you should be able to save all safe data.

For a safe system you need a decent firewall that provides both in and out data transfer protection, a good anti-virus and a good anti-spyware program - all three are available for free, check the downloads on this site. You should also check any CD/DVD/Floppy/HDD that you connect to your PC if it is from an unknown source; additionally stay away from suspect sites!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room