We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Beware - New twist on Verified by Visa scam

Sea Urchin
Resolved

Likes # 0

An email arrives that includes a badly copied Verified by Visa and MasterCard logos and containing the text below. There is also a (convenient!) link to "change your password". The subject heading is Change your password! and it comes from VBV/MSC. The link also includes an exclamation mark after the word password - hardly the mark of a reputable financial institution. Needless to say do not click on the link or enter ANY information.

Wrong Password

Our records show that someone tried to enter your Verified by Visa/Mastercard password three times in a row. This password protects you from unauthorized online use of your credit card. For your safety please change your password now.

Change password!

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

Had one this morning, binned it. No reputable organisation is going to send you an account security warning in the format of an anonymous circular. Also hover the pointer over the link button and look at the URL this one seemed to include a German radio station in it.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Sea Urchin

Thanks for the heads up, I've sent it to everyone in my address book.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Hi Sea Urchin, Thanks for the heads up. RP

Like this post
lucky1

Likes # 0

Thanks Sea Urchin. Have let all my contacts know about this.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination