We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Voice Recognition Software

dogbreath1

Likes # 0

Need advice on which to buy. Accuracy is more important than features. The product will only be used for dictating documents.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 11.5 (PC) seems to be popular (£63 @ Amazon). Would welcome comments on this product.

Any help gratefully received.

db.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I use Dragon

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you have Windows 7 it is included Click Here I have tried it in the past along with Dragon but could never get on with either, I find typing much easier.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I have used the speech recognition software included with Windows 7 in the past and found it adequate for my needs at the time and accurate. Why not give it a try first before you go spending cash.

Like this post
dogbreath1

Likes # 0

Apologies for not naming my OS when I posted, but I am still using XP SP3.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

You could try the free demo at e-speaking first

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I use an older version of the IBM software (now Dragon) and after taking time to set it up it works fine.

However you will need a good headset microphone, I tried several and managed to record the clock ticking and the TV sound! Not to mention the answers to 'she who must be obeyed' questions like - where do you want your coffee? The hardest thing was getting used to talking to the PC and then deleting the 'Damns'.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

wiz-king it wasn't the "damns" for me more the "ums and ahhs," so with the help of Mavis Beacon I taught myself to touch type. It probably took longer than teaching my machine to understand my Essex/American/Devon accent but it suits me better. There's something about talking and listening to myself that I find very off-putting.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You have to remember that it is dictation which isn't the same as naturally speaking. I may be biased against voice recognition as many years ago I was taught to touch type.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...