We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Looking for the perfect machine

lvl6

Likes # 0

After hours of browsing forums/dealers/review sites i've managed to get a rough picture of what kind of specs i'm looking for, however everyone seems to be pointing me in different directions in terms of brands etc. so i thought i'd start my own little thread here to try and actually come to a conclusion!

The reason i'm looking for a laptop versus building my own is the fact that i would have even less of a clue with that and tbh i'm at uni so might be nice to have something portable.

Minimum Requirements: CPU: 2GHz+ (i.e i5, i7 [not sure about the i3]) RAM: 4Ghz DDR3 @ 7200rpm Storage: 320GB+ GPU: No clue here but one that can play newish games (not at full quality) Other: Lots of I/O (3.0 USB), decent cooling and low noise

1) What is your budget?

£500-600 (as little as possible for a machine i won't regret)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Honestly, not fussed but, the bigger the screen the better (have a 15.6" atm and wouldn't mind upgrading!)

3) Where will you buying this notebook?

UK (Scotland)

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like: No priority - but well trusted brands in terms of build quality b. Dislike: Compaq - My current (first laptop) compaq presario cq61 always overheats, is extremely slow (windows just grinds to a halt) and the battery sucked and is now in the battery graveyard

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Yes. Anything as long as it does the job!

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Primary: Music production Secondary: Gaming - would love to play the new GW2 when it lands somewhere in 2012 I believe

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Mostly left on desk

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Yes, GW2

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

3-4 Hours roughly

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

With recommendation (hence posting here); buying online is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Most comfortable with WIN7 if it runs smoothly

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer?

Not bothered

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?

Not bothered

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Now

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

As long as physically possible

Notebook Components

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

Yes; a CD/DVD Burner

Thank you for your cooperation!

Like this post
lvl6

Likes # 0

EDIT: If it wasn't clear already, the laptop will be used for music production primarily, but also a bit of gaming and obviously the internet and such. Cheers!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Looking for the Perfect Machine - is there such a thing? You can only look at the best your budget will allow BUT here goes -

ACER - One to consider - Has Intel i5 CPU - Plenty of storage(750GB HDD) - A dedicated 1GB Graphics card - 6GB RAM - in my opinion a decent spec. and price.enter link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone