We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP Home problems

GBL

Likes # 0

I have replaced the HDD in my daughters PC and used the provided Restore CD to reinstall Win XP Home, I have installed the service packs up to and inc 3. I keep getting two errors which as a result I cannot get internet. The first is the error; RPC server unavailable, the second is COM+ error code 0x80040206 What can I do to rectify these??

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The RPC problem - check in SERVICES - you should have 2 entries relating to Remote Procedure - make sure they are running - if not Restart.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

com + problems

RPC is usually due to a dependency service not started

Start - run - type

services.msc

Scroll down to RPC service and right click select properties and look at the dependent services check they are all started and set to at least manual if not automatic.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The same may apply to SERVICES - look for DCOM Server Process Launcher and Restart the Service.

Like this post
GBL

Likes # 0

The first shows, Started the other is blank and both are set to Auto

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Check all your services against this site

Like this post
GBL

Likes # 0

I seem to have sorted it after installing and running Registry Mechanic. Thanks

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I am pleased to hear it is sorted. I am not keen on running Registry cleaners and I gave up on Registry Mechanic years ago but if it has "done the trick" that's all that matters.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Samsung's best ever smartphones...

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks