We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Calls saying there's something wrong with your computer ?

TwoHulls

Likes # 0

Hi,

I use a three year old laptop running Vista and it seems to run like it's always run.

Thing is (and I am a bit of a suspicious old git)I keep getting phone calls on my landline saying "I'm from XYZ Co on behalf of Microsoft you've something wrong with your computer and I can sort it"

They then ask me to sit down in front of it and take me through a series of key strokes which takes me into Event Viewer - they then show me in Applications and System a number of red flagged events which they say needs sorting to improve the performance of my pc.

Next thing they ask is for me to go online to pccure.net to sort the problem and I've declined.

They say they are in India ? - from their accents certainly sounds like it and they seem to be in a busy environment judging from the background noise.

My questions are - as I don't know how they got my phone number are these guys likely to be kosher in working for Microsoft am I right to be suspicious ?

Is what they showed me in Event Viewer likely to be a problem and should I do anything about it.

TwoHulls.

Like this post
TonyW2

Likes # 0

The current version of this scam tries to lure you into loading "Team-Viewer". This is a genuine and useful program, but can be used to pass control of your computer to the "caller". Thereafter they can search your computer for passwords, financial details etc etc. Moral--don't download stuff that you do not understand or know exactly from where it is coming! I strung along the guy who called me for 20 minutes, pretending to be having difficulties following his instructions, and then told him that an error message had popped up on screen. He asked me to read it and I explained that it looked like Microsoft Error 50-do-OFF. The phone went down with a bang.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I had a call the other day. I was advised that I had problems with my pc which they could "see" and they would help fix it. After several minutes,I told them that it was very strange, but I did not have a pc! Phone call stopped straight away ! TonyW2..I like the error message :)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

They often ring numbers selected by a computer. I ask "what number are you calling" and they usually do not know. This is a well known scam and most PC's will have a few red warnings in eventvwr. They are trying to get your credit csrd details - have nothing to do with anyone like this - alleged bank calls included.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Like this post
brownsmith

Likes # 0

Hey. Do not give any further details to them. Its a scam nothing else. Do not give any information to them for you security.

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

I got the call and told them I don't own a PC, he still waffled on for 5 mins about errors on my PC that Microsoft had reported... 3 times I said I don't have a PC and only when I asked which company he was from did he hang up. I had plenty fun!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data