We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acronis experts assistance required please!

hiwatt

Likes # 0

Hi folks. I've just got the Acronis TI(2012)program and installed it but I'm not really sure how to use it?I would like to do a back up of just my OS(Windows XP)if this is possible?As well as a complete back up of my C drive.I've also noticed since installing it my computer has slowed down quite a bit and Acronis has a few services running constantly!They are,True Image monitor.exe,schedul2.exe and schedhlp.exe.Do these need to be running at all times if I am not backing anything up?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

schedul2.exe is for automatic scheduled backups

schedhlp.exe is schedule help

neither needed if you have not set a schedule for your back ups (I backup weekly on a Friday night)

You can only copy the OS if it is on a separate partition.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat!My OS is on my C:drive with everything else! How do I do a full back up of my C:drive?I don't understand what the incremental back ups are?Do you know if I can also stop True image monitor from running at boot up?Thanks.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Sorry I should have maybe been more specific?Under "disc back up options" do I select back up sector by sector?Also there is an option to create a bootable disc incase the computer won't boot?The Acronis disc itself is a bootable dvd so I'm not sure if I have to create another "rescue" disc?As I say I am complete novice when it comes to backing up so any help is much appreciated.Thank you.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you have the Acronis disc then you do not need to make the bootable media

Backing up Incremental

It will do a full image first time, after that it will just backup any changes. therefore quicker on back ups.

I was never happy with that so I go for two different images every two weeks

Schedule a backup of C: and give it a title then schedule another backup of C and give it a different title, if one fails then you have the second one to fall back on.

Have a read of this tutorial

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If I was you I would uninstall Acronis and just use it to create backups by booting with the CD in the drive

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I use Acronis Nonstop backup for my data and found the function very useful. You would not be able to use Nonstop backup unless fully installed.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Woodchip:Can you tell me how I would do this?I would much rather that becuase it really has alown my computer down quite a bit?I thought you had to have the program and all the extras installed to be able to create the back up in the first place and then to install it?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I have not used Acronis for a couple of years as it seems to be more bloated each time there is an upgrade. As you have, I assume bought it, you will have to use it, but there are equally good and free alternatives.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

There is no mention of where the backup is to be stored. You cannot backup to your C drive unless it is partitioned and then you will be able to place the backup on that partition. Though this will be no good if your internal hard drive fails. It is preferable to backup to a separate hard drive I use a 1TB USB drive. I have all my downloads etc., data, video, music, email store folder on my USB drive. In fact almost everything other than my system and program files. If you partition your drive so it is large enough for you sysem and program files plus a bit for future programs you will find restoring a backup will be quicker.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Being a bit (too) cautious this is what I do: I have a second built in HD(in a removable caddy) (I:)and a USB HD (L:). My main hd is partitioned into C: for all system and programme files and, in my case F: for data . Actually I have most data in a folder: F;\My Documents - with sub folders for spreadsheets, word, photos, music, Outlook etc.Every day I use Freefilesyhnch or Synch toy to do a mirror image of my data (My Documents) to the L: drive.About once a week I make a ATI image (.tib) of the C: drive to the external HD, as others have said I prefer an entire image rather than an incremental one. I keep the latest two images, deleting the oldest after the third one. I also "verify" the image in ATI.Then about once a month I swap caddies with a new HD the same size (500 gig) as my primary disc and make an ATI clone after a scan for malware and viruses and a defrag of the main drive. Maybe a bit OTT!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear S (Solo) curved-screen smartwatch confirmed: release date, price and specs UK

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks